What's new

Hot Ones Hot Sauces

Ok, so I bought all of the season 12 sauces from the Hot Ones show with the exception of the very first one (not available until late July). We'll sub something else out for the very first spot. Our family and some close friends that have been quarantining diligently are going to cook up some wings and run through the progression tomorrow. It ought to be fun as most of us think that Franks Red Hot sauce is hot.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Ok, so I bought all of the season 12 sauces from the Hot Ones show with the exception of the very first one (not available until late July). We'll sub something else out for the very first spot. Our family and some close friends that have been quarantining diligently are going to cook up some wings and run through the progression tomorrow. It ought to be fun as most of us think that Franks Red Hot sauce is hot.
You are going to warm them, right? Frank's is about a 2 out of 10 on the heatness scale. Hot ones sauces are very hot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have to check out the season 12 lineup. Last year I got a bunch of sauces, including the Last Dab XXX and the miserable Da Bomb. Took a few to work for the boss and I to have a Hot Ones challenge. Tears were shed, fun was had.

1. Hot Ones The Classic Garlic Fresno - 1700
- Ingredients: Fresno chile pepper, water, apple cider vinegar, garlic puree (garlic and water), vinegar, kosher salt, organic dried garlic, organic turmeric, organic black pepper
2. Steel City Sauce Co | Jade Jaguar - 3600
- Ingredients: Jalapeño, vinegar, onion, garlic, olive oil, vegetable oil, lime juice, salt, cilantro
3. Fresco Sauce | Chipotle & Habanero - 12400
- Ingredients: Habanero peppers, chipotle chili powder, carrots, distilled vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, sugar, black pepper, water
4. Hotter Than El | Ghost Sauce - 39000
- Ingredients: Distilled vinegar, diced tomatoes (tomatoes, tomato juice, salt), carrots, onions, garlic, Jolokia peppers, salt
5. Hot Ones - Los Calientes Rojo - 49000
- Ingredients: Peppers (smoked red jalapeño, habanero), apricot (ascorbic acid added), apple cider vinegar, agave nectar, lemon juice, tomatillo, water, garlic, salt, toasted onion, cumin, culantro, black pepper, thyme, celery seed
6. SeaFire Gourmet | Reaper Hot Sauce - 72000
- Ingredients: White wine vinegar, Carolina Reaper peppers, Chipotle peppers, balsamic vinegar, shallots, garlic, honey, brown sugar, Mediterranean sea salt, vitamin C
7. Volcanic Peppers | I-O Thor's Hammer - 121000
- Ingredients: Hot chile peppers (red and chocolate ghost, 7-Pot Douglah, Carolina Reaper, Moruga Scorpion, Jigsaw, and Thai), vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt, spices
8. Da Bomb | Beyond Insanity - 135600
9. Chile Monoloco | Pierdealmas - 665000
- Ingredients: Hot peppers, lemon, vegetable oil, garlic, spices, salt
10. Hot Ones - The Last Dab XXX - 2000000+
- Ingredients: Pepper X, chocolate pepper X, peach pepper X, distilled vinegar, ginger root, turmeric, coriander, cumin, dry mustard

Ok, so we had about ten of us start out on the challenge; my friends family which, included him, his wife and two daughters. My wife, myself, my three daughters and my middle daughters girlfriend Liz. Liz is Mexican and eats a lot of spicy food on regular basis. Plus she's eaten the chocolate that supposed to be the hottest thing on the planet. I'm a bit worried about Liz as I suspect that she'll be pushing me a bit so I have to finish this even though I might not want to. So, not finishing is not an option as I've got to get through all of these as I'm sure Liz will. I feel like my wife and my friends family will be out quickly followed by my oldest daughter who will bail after swearing uncontrollably for a good five to ten minutes before quitting. My wife put out an assortment of things that are supposed to help with the burn. Some doughnut pieces, skittles, crackers, lime wedges, milk, lemon juice and water. We'll see what helps, if anything. If you've ever seen the episode with Gordon Ramsay, lots of that kind of stuff.

We just skipped the #1 sauce as it's not available for purchase at the moment and we wanted to have enough wings as we have quite a few participants. We thought about subbing something else out for it but decided that it wasn't necessary as we could all handle Frank's or something else mild. So we decided to just get on with it and start at number two. The wings we cooked on the grill on low for about forty five minutes. They were done perfectly. We had a bag of wings from Sam's Club but didn't think that this would make it through the challenge as there were so many of us participating. So we decided to dump some sauce on one side of the wing and eat that half. The other half we'd repeat the process with the next sauce. So five wings per person to complete the challenge and we should have enough for ten people. The girls didn't want to have to eat ten wings anyway, so this should work well.

The number two sauce, Steel City Jade Jaguar is a green sauce that everyone found very enjoyable. So much so that some went back for seconds and my daughter's friend had some more later in the evening. I though it was really tasty, though not hot at all. Everyone liked this one a lot.

On to number three, Fresco Sauce Chipotle and Habenaro. This one is an orange colored sauce. Personally, I liked it a lot. Some nice flavor and a mild kick to it. My friends daughter kept saying I don't like Habanero and his wife was complaining about how hot it was. It wasn't really hot at all. I thought it tasted great, though others didn't like it as much as I did. Everyone is still in and onto number four.

Hotter than El Ghost sauce. This one is a bit runny with chunks of something (maybe onion) in a thin red liquid sauce. I put a lot on the wing as to make a pile of the solid pieces while the liquid ran off a bit. I take a bite and get some onion and garlic. To me it seemed milder than the one before it. This is where my buddy's wife taps out saying she's done. I'm thinking she dodged a bullet here but opted out way too early.

Now were onto number five which is Hot Ones Los Calientes Rojo. I'd eaten the Los Calienties green version before and it's a really nice tasting hot sauce. I like this one quite a bit as well. It does have a bit of a kick but nothing extreme. My buddy is starting to complain now which I kind of expected as he's not a fan of spicy. My wife on the other hand is handling this like a champ. Completely unexpected there. Ok so we're past this one with everyone still in it except for my buddy's wife who bailed earlier.

Number six now, SeaFire Gourmet | Reaper Hot Sauce. Ok I put a generous amount on the wing as I've been doing this far. On the earlier wings I barely got any heat as the wing seems to have drowned out the sauce a bit. I compensated by adding more sauce. I did the same on this one and I probably shouldn't have. The flavor wasn't all that great but it was followed by a decent kick. My buddy's complaining had increased substantially now as we seemed to have found his tolerance level. I convinced him to stay on for another wing though, even though he wanted to bail after this one. Both of his daughters dropped out here. So two more down. I took my first couple sips of milk here. I'm feeling great so far. Other's seem to be doing fairly well, some complaining but my daughter's all played sports and are crazy competitive so there's that as well.

Ok now we're getting serious as we get to Volcanic Peppers I-O Thor's Hammer. This is where the sauces seem to focus a lot less on taste and much more on heat. Thor's Hammer is no joke. I put a very generous amount, maybe a bit too much, of the sauce on my wing and gave it a go. This one is where it gets serious. This stuff is quite hot. I looked over and my wife is still hanging in there with no complaints. The heat builds in this one and it lingers for a good ten minutes. Now we're in the seriously hot territory. Everyone was slamming the milk here and I drank quite a bit of it myself. This is where my stomach started acting up a bit. It kinda felt how it feels like before you vomit though I didn't want to vomit or didn't feel like I needed to. My wife wasn't drinking all of the liquids and felt fine while my daughters were drinking a ton of water and milk and were all complaining that their stomachs felt a bit uneasy. So we decided to wait a bit as my oldest daughter wanted some time to recover a bit as her stomach was doing flip flops. This wasn't something I expected to feel as I expected the burning but not the stomach uneasyness. If doing this over I'd do a lot less liquids and I think I was overdoing it with the amount of sauce per wing. Every wing was like The Last Dab times 10.

My oldest daughter decided to try and make herself throw up at this point, taking a puke and rally approach, but refused to tap out. She made a lot of noise trying to throw up in the bathroom but nothing came up. Probably lucky it didn't as that would have likely burned like hell. Liz was looking a bit green as well and took a walk. From a heat standpoint this one was definitely hot, I wanted to continue but my stomach was a mess. The nausea sucked bad. If I ever do this again I'm going to pay serious attention to my liquid intake. The guests on the show are forced to talk which probably keeps them from drinking too much milk as we did. After about ten minutes the heat from the wing had subsided, my oldest daughter wanted to keep going, even though it likely wasn't a great idea. My wife told her that we could stop and pick it up another day when everyone was feeling better. She said "Daddy didn't raise no *****" then realized that quite a few had dropped before her, apologized to everyone for calling them bitches, and we decided to continue on.

So on to Da Bomb, the one I have been least looking forward to. I again dump a very generous amount on my wing. While I'm waiting for everyone else, I look over and my wife had already eaten her wing. Liz is nowhere to be found at this point but the rest of us decide not to wait for her. Instead of the "That wasn't too bad" that I'd been getting from my wife I get a "That was f'ing hot". I bite down on my wing and began chewing it up. I get a smokiness from the sauce that reminds me of burning tires but it's not bad yet heat wise. I drink some more milk, then water, then maybe some more milk again. The heat is building now. I'm like "Ok, this is getting hotter". I'm feeling it in the back of my throat now which is something new. It's spreading throughout my whole mouth now and getting hotter as each minute passes. It's building and building. Now I'm sweating and I look over at my wife who's eyes are now watering as she's drinking some water. I have sweat under my eyes now and my eyes are starting to water a bit as well. My entire mouth is hot as hell now. Feeling like I drank some type of acid. This stuff is no joke. The sauces before it were hot and parts of my mouth were burning but this was a whole new level. This is way hotter than everything before it and substantially hotter than anything I've ever eaten. The water helps a bit while it's in my mouth but as soon as it's gone the pain quickly returns. The milk tastes like it's warm even though it's cold. The skittles seem to make it worse and the doughnuts do nothing at all. I didn't try the lemon juice or limes as I don't think there is anything that's going to help this except for time. About ten minutes pass and now my lips are burning as well. This sucks bad. I've never eaten anything so hot in my life. The kids are still feeling the nausea as am I and I can't say that I'm a fan. This would be bad enough without the flu like symptoms. My oldest daughter is laying on the floor in the pantry at this point. I'd continue even though I certainly didn't want to. The nausea was stopping me more than the heat, though this last sauce certainly makes you want to quit. It took a good twenty minutes to go away.

So we still have two sauces to go. My wife put it on hold as my oldest daughter wouldn't quit and my wife didn't want her to continue and ruin the rest of the day. None of us wanted to argue with her at that point. So we're going to do number 9 and 10 later on. Liz came back and did Da Bomb as she's pretty competitive and didn't want to fall behind the rest of us. She said it wasn't the heat so much as the nausea that had gotten to her.

Lessons learned, drink way less water and skip the milk all together for me. Also a bit less of the sauces would likely be a very good idea as I think we way overdid it there putting globs of this stuff on the wings. Probably way more than you'd get on the show. A thin layer like on the show would have been way easier to take. I've tried the 9 and 10 sauces out of the bottle and they were definitely hot though I didn't think as hot as Da Bomb was. Hard to tell though as I'll have to let you know once we resume this and I get to try them with some wings.

Top Bottom