What's new

Hot lather, proraso red, and irritation

So two nights ago I used Proraso Red in my scuttle because the colder weather is upon us. After my shave my skin was not happy with me. It was just irritated.

I tried a Stirling soap last night in the scuttle, with the same razor, and it felt great.

Would there be something in the Proraso red that when it gets warm causes skin irritation? Did I maybe get the lather too hot?

Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Not sure what ingredient would be in the red that would cause irritation.

You might try the Proraso White line, which is specifically made for sensitive skin.

Good luck.

Some soaps don't handle scuttle heat well and will break down.
Ironically, I recently noticed the same thing.

Was looking forward to a HOT shave, ala the kind you might get from your local barber.

Unfortunately, like you mentioned, some soaps will just break down in a scuttle, in my case, it was an "Ogallala's Bay Rum."

Besides, I never found the scuttle to get HOT enough to my liking, using tap water, and when I used boiling water, the scuttle became TOO hot to handle, so back to "Amazon" it goes. 🙁

lasta

Blade Biter
Are you sure you are zeroing in on the right reason? A lot can happen between lathering and irritation, the soap ould be my last guess.

I’ve found that as much as I like sandalwood, it irritates the heck out of my skin. Last time I used proraso red about 3 weeks ago, my entire face was stinging for a few hours. I’ve had the same issue from other sandalwood scents such as taos.

Are you sensitive to sandalwood?

I don't think so. Proraso red is one of my most used, and favorite soaps, and I never had irritation until I tried heating it. Maybe I'll give it another go and cut back the heat a little

I don't think so. Proraso red is one of my most used, and favorite soaps, and I never had irritation until I tried heating it. Maybe I'll give it another go and cut back the heat a little
Seeing this posted seconds after I posted my response above, maybe it is the heat and not the sandalwood….

Seeing this posted seconds after I posted my response above, maybe it is the heat and not the sandalwood….
After thinking about it I'm thinking the heat a) dried out my skin or b) caused the Proraso to lose some hydration or cushion or whatever, causing irritation

I usually get flamed when i say stuff. I like the old lather machines, with a preshave cream. My 1st barber shave in '72 was great, i was hooked.

If it’s the Proraso you can do a contact test with a dab of Proraso on your skin and repeat the results.

Cold weather, plus strong soap, plus hot water, plus excess agitation (brush), plus excessive exfoliation (razor) is pretty much the opposite of everything you should do to not irritate your skin.

Top Bottom