What's new

Hot dogs anyone?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Definitely on the grill.
all beef or chicken or turkey are not bad either. Whole Foods organic label are fantastic.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Ballpark all beef or Members Mark Beef franks.
I just heat them in the microwave and dip in yellow mustard.
I’m a simple man

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like mine sliced lengthwise between two slices of bread and topped with cheese and HP brown sauce. The wife uses them sliced in a tomato sauce with pasta, or with fried eggs and garlic fried rice for a breakfast known as 'hotsilog', served with banana ketchup and atchara (pickled papaya). Fantastic!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The expression "we use everything but the squeal" is probably true for hot dogs. I'll have to pass.
I take your point, they are hardly the choicest cuts. That said there is something laudable about the idea of 'nose to tail' cookery in which no part of the animal is wasted. That used to be the case here in the UK where cuts of meat were routinely consumed which today have sadly gone out of fashion. My wife has containers of pig blood in the freezer which she uses for cookery and she is partial to pig trotter, pigs cheek, pigs ears, chickens feet and all manner of other delicacies, none of which will ever be on my plate 🤣

Every once in a while I enjoy a good hot dog, boiled or BBQ style on a bun. And for toppings I enjoy raw onions, mustard, and sauerkraut. A side of fries and a coke. How about you? How do you like your hot dogs?

I like my hot dogs just like you do. Prefer deli mustard to regular mustard. But if there is only regular mustard available. It's going on my hot dog.

Also like a mustard, onion, chilli, cheese dog too.

Another good combo is Cream cheese with grilled onions, grilled red & green bell peppers is good too. Cream cheese seems weird. But it tastes much better than I thought it would.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well it has turned Hot Dog season here finally so this is timely. I'm partial to jumbo dogs from either Hebrew National or Dearborn Sausage Co. My favorite is a Cincinnati Chili "coney" with the chili, onions & shredded cheese (yellow mustard). I will also do a New York dog with onion sauce and kraut (coarse deli mustard). A good Chicago style dog is for when I am feeling the need for veggies, and lastly a plain one with Cleveland Stadium mustard when speed or nostalgia is of the essence ..

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Will beans and weenies work?

1617808687450.png

Have you heard of a hot dog called the Sonoran Hot Dog? That is my absolute favorite hot dog. It's a Char-grilled, bacon-wrapped hot dog with mustard, mayo, pinto beans, grilled and fresh onions, diced tomatoes, jalapeño salsa, crema, avocado, and shredded cheese on a semi-sweet, torta-bread-like hot dog bun. Amazing and out of this world.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Right this-a way:

AA

Have you heard of a hot dog called the Sonoran Hot Dog? That is my absolute favorite hot dog. It's a Char-grilled, bacon-wrapped hot dog with mustard, mayo, pinto beans, grilled and fresh onions, diced tomatoes, jalapeño salsa, crema, avocado, and shredded cheese on a semi-sweet, torta-bread-like hot dog bun. Amazing and out of this world.
They are big in AZ.
1617813889746.png

Pretty much the only hot dogs I'll eat:

Sabrett for NYC style. Pre-pandemic, I'd stock up during east coast trips. I've been making do with Boars Head this year.

Vienna Beef for chi-town style. My favorite local chicago dog chain went out of business tho. :(

Costco dogs are pretty damn good for $1.50.

But really, nothing is better than 2 steamed Sabretts, pork & beef in natural casing, mustard & kraut, served with a potato knish and a Coke.

I live in Seattle. Seattle dogs are disgusting. Cream cheese and mushy onions.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Also like a mustard, onion, chilli, cheese dog too.

That's on my short list of last meals.

I do love hot dogs. Along with the aforementioned chili-cheese dog, I also just like them with deli mustard (especially Ba-Tampte) and either sauerkraut or raw, minced onion (rarely both, but it has been known to happen). I sometimes am up for dill relish, but that's rare.

Grilled are the best, but heated up in a skillet or on those hot rollers is almost as good. Steamed are great in the right context. Even boiled or "dirty water" dogs are better than nothing.

Hebrew National 1/4 pound dinner franks are my favorite, but there are plenty of great franks out there.

Just don't put the dadgum thing on a pretzel bun.

I don't get the hangup on ketchup, even if it's not for me. That said, don't even say "mayonnaise" near my hot dog.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
When I'm out a dog with Heinz Ketchup and yellow mustard will, do but at home it's got to be a grilled hotdog with kimchi and horseradish mustard.

Top Bottom