What's new

Hot Dog Sauce???

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I was talking to my aunt this weekend and for whatever reason she started reminiscing and telling stories about when she was a young girl and working on Grandma's farm (my Great Grandmother). My great grandparents had a sizable farm in southern Ohio and on part of the land my great grandfather built a golf course. Anyway, my aunt was talking about how she worked at the clubhouse in the summers and made my great grandmothers amazing hot dog sauce. I've heard of hot dog sauce but don't know much about it. Aunt Barb said farmers and visitors would come to the clubhouse just for the hot dogs and "sauce". She's going to try and dig up great grandma's recipe for me. I'm intrigued.

So who here is familiar with "hot dog sauce"?

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
We call it mustard
;)

seriously what did she say it tasted or looked like?

im familiar with a ground beef and spiced concoction with onion on hot dogs

shavefan

I’m not a fan
We call it mustard
;)

seriously what did she say it tasted or looked like?

im familiar with a ground beef and spiced concoction with onion on hot dogs

That's how she described it. Ground beef, lots of onions, ketchup, and cooked for a long time apparently. I'm sure there is more to the recipe but these were some of the ingredients she mentioned. She said it was a thin chili kind of consistency, heavy on the onions.

I'm not a huge 'dog fan, but I try to get a Chicago dog at Portillos if my travels take me near one. And yeah, mustard NEVER ketchup! :001_tongu

Having lived in Southern Ohio hot dog sauce is a regional variation of a chili dog. Ground meat, onion, tomato, ketchup, paprika etc. each cook has their own tweak. It’s essential to a hot dog. You can put anything you want on your hot dog as long as the first thing is sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Having lived in Southern Ohio hot dog sauce is a regional variation of a chili dog. Ground meat, onion, tomato, ketchup, paprika etc. each cook has their own tweak. It’s essential to a hot dog. You can put anything you want on your hot dog as long as the first thing is sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like it @dundak, I was wondering if it was/is a regional thing. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Here in Texas we call it chili!!
No beans of course!

They do sell it canned here at the local grocery store.

It was big when I lived in upstate NY in the late 70's. It's a mild flavor, so it can't be called chile. I enjoyed it.

Michigan has Coney Island diners. In Detroit an insipid wet sauce is used. However, Flint, and to a lesser extent Jackson Michigan use a drier sauce, made with ground beef heart. Steamed bun. Sweet, diced onion. Yellow mustard. Outstanding!

You can Google Flint style coney dogs for more detail. Angelo's Coney Island was always considered the best, according to locals. (I was there with some fellows 25 years ago.)

These are Not chili dogs.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
After further reflection these things were only "good" between the hours of 1 and 3 am after the bars closed to be sure.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
After further reflection these things were only "good" between the hours of 1 and 3 am after the bars closed to be sure.

According to my father, White Castle was the destination of choice during those hours...

There are regional variants on 'dog sauce.Coney island,cincinatti,greek style ,usually beef simmered a long time with different spice mixes.Chili powder for the tex,nutmeg/cinnamon added for the greek,as some have pointed out paprika in others as the main spice.I have seen some of the cheaper dog sauces that were spices, smooth beans and beef fat for flavor.

I make a dog sauce with beef,onions,a secret blend of spices and A1 type steak sauce that is pretty tasty.

Top Bottom