What's new

Hot Dog Sauce???

The regional variations of what should sit atop a hot dog are fascinating. Here in Chicago it's almost a salad: bright yellow mustard, flourescent green pickle relish, tomato wedges, dill spear, spicy little peppers and celery salt. When I first moved here from Milwaukee and saw this garish concoction I thought it was ridiculous -- possibly obscene. (Hey, in Wisconsin, sausage is serious.) No way could it taste good, I thought, but I had to try one. I'm hooked!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Garyg, try Owen Road, Fenton, MI. I think it is called Mega Coney. Maybe 15 miles S of Flint at US 23.

Flint style, dry sauce, mustard, sweet onions, steamed bun.

Buy some Tums, too. :)

Thanks Mac - Fenton's almost close enough for a special run - I have Tums leftover from my working days, not much call for them in retirement!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The regional variations of what should sit atop a hot dog are fascinating. Here in Chicago it's almost a salad: bright yellow mustard, flourescent green pickle relish, tomato wedges, dill spear, spicy little peppers and celery salt. When I first moved here from Milwaukee and saw this garish concoction I thought it was ridiculous -- possibly obscene. (Hey, in Wisconsin, sausage is serious.) No way could it taste good, I thought, but I had to try one. I'm hooked!
I had the same reaction- they sure are good, though.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

My favorite kind of 'dog!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I did live in Cincinnati for three years back in the mid-70's. At that time there were more "Chili Parlors" in town than Club Mac - and in Cincy, they are called simply Coneys .. with their distinctive Greek chili topping.
View attachment 967725
In Toledo, made famous by Max Klinger, we had Hungarian Hot Dogs .. at Tony Packo's
View attachment 967726
Here in the Motown they call something slightly different a coney island dog .. eaten at a "Coney Island"
View attachment 967727
I October, I plan to take an Amtrak sleeper car to Chicago, then drive to Cleveland and Niagara Falls. With one detour into Michigan, I can hit 4 of the 5 Great Lakes. I will probably roll through Toledo, so I will hit Packo's- can't pass up on the opportunity.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Sounds like a great trip Owen - though I can't recall any famous chili dogs in old Cleveland .. you'll have to be content with the Polish Boy maybe ..
polishboy.jpg

It appears that this mythical "hot dog sauce" is very different from the mustard & pickle based "hot dog relish".
My topping of choice is mild salsa, a single line of mustard, and a 1/2 width slice of dill pickle (e.g. Bick's "Sandwich Savers").
JJ, is that why it is called the Windy City?
No.

The Sonoran Dog is popular here. It consists of bacon, pinto beans, grilled onions, chopped fresh onions, chopped fresh tomatoes, jalapeño sauce, mayonnaise, and mustard. The recipe varies with different spices. Some use refried beans.
sono.JPG

download.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I was browsing around for some recipes (not related to hot dog sauce) and came across this recipe from West Virginia...

A West Virginia hot dog begins with a wiener on a plain hot dog bun. Add plain yellow mustard to the wiener, then add a beanless chili sauce and then it's topped off with sweet coleslaw and chopped onions. Different parts of West Virginia have variations but the common elements are sweet, creamy coleslaw and chili.

WEST VIRGINIA HOT DOG CHILI
2 Tbsp shortening
1 lb ground beef
2 tsp onions, chopped
1/2 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (can use 1/4 to 1 tsp - to taste)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup water
1 1/2 to 3 Tbsp cracker meal

Saute ground beef, garlic and onions until browned.

Add spices and mix well. Add about a cup of water and cook over low heat for 3 or 4 hours. Add a little additional water occasionally to keep from sticking.

When chili is cooked, remove from heat and add 1 1/2 to 3 Tbsp of cracker meal and stir well to thicken.

Another thing that you can do is run an electric hand mixer around in the finished chili, briefly - this makes for a finer ground meat texture and is closer to the "real thing".

After the first batch of chili you may want to vary (slightly) the blend of peppers and cumin, the cinnamon is critical but your chili should never have a cinnamon taste.

This chili freezes well.

Last edited:
I grew up in Western NY and we have "Texas Hots" sauce here which is similar to a chili dog... The sauce is either spooned on top of a dog in a bun (Sahlen's brand of course), or it is served as a layer in a "Garbage Plate" (a Rochester NY delicacy)... Google it!

Red Hot with Michigan Sauce. It’s a northern NY thing. I have to order them from Glazier. The Michigan sauce I made. Michigan Sauce Recipe - Genius Kitchen I doubled the recipe except for the red pepper flake. Personally I could/would omit the red pepper flake completely.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom