What's new

Hot Dog Sauce???

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Having lived in Southern Ohio hot dog sauce is a regional variation of a chili dog. Ground meat, onion, tomato, ketchup, paprika etc. each cook has their own tweak. It’s essential to a hot dog. You can put anything you want on your hot dog as long as the first thing is sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the memory refresh
in the south it was a bag full of Krystal's
Krystal’s is garbage.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Jeez, we are missing out here in Australia. When you get a hot dog from a restaurant or cafe all you get is a hot dog bun, a frankfurt and tomato sauce. Unless you are in a city and go to a gourmet hot dog shop you can get a different assortment hot dogs.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
One of the greatest things we have in this world: food.
So many variances of the same dish.
When I was in the Republic of Moldova I had a bowl of soup. It was so good and just what I grew up eating here in South Texas.
Fideo con papa

The reason I said chili for hot dog sauce is that’s what it reminds me of. It’s just milder. But they do sell hot dog sauce locally.

Great thread

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just remember the chili sauce the concession stand served during little league baseball. It was a runny meat sauce they called chili.

My aunt made special mention of this. Apparently grandma insisted that the buns be steamed!

Soft steamed buns make a big difference. It doesn’t matter what’s on the inside, the bread is what can make an OK sandwich a great one.

NEPA, where I grew up, used a thin chili as well. Jimmy’s Quick Lunch in Hazleton has the best hot dogs around. If I go back to visit, I stop and see Jimmy before family. LOL

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So my aunt called this afternoon. She found the recipe, and get this, it is the original and in my great grandma's own handwriting! Lol. Bad news is, the recipe was dog eared, faded, and parts illegible but we talked through it and here's what we came up with...

3 lbs ground beef
3 lbs diced onions
1 can ground (?) red kidney beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
3 Tbs chili powder

Now, I'm not sure this is exact but it's the best we could do with the deteriorated 60+ year old recipe. There were no cooking instructions but I think it's fairly obvious. I'll make it, if for nothing else, out of curiosity.

Ground kidney beans? Hmmmmm....

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I can see that. That would be a good way to give the sauce a bit of substance and depth of flavor. I'd probably mash them.

Thanks for the recipe. That sounds like something worth trying

Back when I was a kid living in L.A. there was a company called XLNT who made chili. Ingreadents were tripe, other un-namable internal organs and about 40% fat/grease.

It came in a waxed and folded cardboard container as a 1 pound "brick" that was solid at room temp but melted into the best tasting chili dog chili.

proxy.php

I guess the "heath" craze caught up with them and they changed their ingredients to "better quality" big names bits. The new product is worse than the worst. Somehow they are still in business.

XLNT Foods - Home

That said.....

The closest in taste and consistency I have been able to find today is

Bunker Hill Chili

proxy.php

NOT hotdogs sauce

proxy.php

If you have not tried this brand, start looking. It is NOT found everywhere but it's worth looking for.

Last edited:
So my aunt called this afternoon. She found the recipe, and get this, it is the original and in my great grandma's own handwriting! Lol. Bad news is, the recipe was dog eared, faded, and parts illegible but we talked through it and here's what we came up with...

3 lbs ground beef
3 lbs diced onions
1 can ground (?) red kidney beans
1 can tomato sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
3 Tbs chili powder

Now, I'm not sure this is exact but it's the best we could do with the deteriorated 60+ year old recipe. There were no cooking instructions but I think it's fairly obvious. I'll make it, if for nothing else, out of curiosity.

I'd interpret 'ground' as mashed 'til no big pieces. We could always blend or food process, 60 years ago toys weren't as prevalent in the kitchen.
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'd interpret 'ground' as mashed 'til no big pieces. We could always blend or food process, 60 years ago toys weren't as prevalent in the kitchen.
dave

I agree Dave, I foresee putting the beans in a processor.

The reason for the question mark in the recipe is that it (the beans) was the most illegible part. That and the quantity of tomato sauce and ketchup.

I like Spicy Brown Mustard and with Sweet Relish and sometimes chopped Purple onions. I like my dogs grilled and a lightly toasted bun.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I did live in Cincinnati for three years back in the mid-70's. At that time there were more "Chili Parlors" in town than Club Mac - and in Cincy, they are called simply Coneys .. with their distinctive Greek chili topping.
skilineconeys.jpg
In Toledo, made famous by Max Klinger, we had Hungarian Hot Dogs .. at Tony Packo's
packos.jpg
Here in the Motown they call something slightly different a coney island dog .. eaten at a "Coney Island"
coneydetroit.jpg

Last edited:
Garyg, try Owen Road, Fenton, MI. I think it is called Mega Coney. Maybe 15 miles S of Flint at US 23.

Flint style, dry sauce, mustard, sweet onions, steamed bun.

Buy some Tums, too. :)

Top Bottom