What's new

Hostile situation.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I learned something new, at least in Texas anyway. If you are in a hostile situation with an armed assailant you can legally shoot him in the back to neutralize him. For example if he turns from you to threaten someone else giving you an opportunity to draw.

Also IIRC you may defend your property, I think over $500.

Getting clear of the legal side safely, I'm not sure this gives you a pass in civil court, which I personally thing is a joke. If you have to shoot someone in self defense or even defense of property and it's ruled justified you shouldn't have to worry about a civil suit.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

Getting clear of the legal side safely, I'm not sure this gives you a pass in civil court, which I personally thing is a joke. If you have to shoot someone in self defense or even defense of property and it's ruled justified you shouldn't have to worry about a civil suit.

Yet you do.

For me the question isn't "Can I", it's "Do I need to". If I really feel I need to, then the legality is just something I'll have to deal with later. Yes, the impact on me and probably others may be tough but at least I'm still around to endure it.

Yet you do.
BIG +1. Your life will be changed forever.

Not trying to start waves here, but:

Don

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
BIG +1. Your life will be changed forever.

Not trying to start waves here, but:

Don

You lost me??

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Yesterday at a Walmart nearby (15 miles from my home) a young man dressed in black entered the store carrying a rifle. Local media interviewed a witness. The man said he saw the kid, drew down on him, and told him Young man you are not killing anyone in this store today.
He ordered the young man to drop his rifle and he did. Luckily for him the police response time was not bad: 2 minutes from call to engagement.
Luckily the witness was willing to do what needed to be done in that situation. No telling how many lives he saved.

Yesterday at a Walmart nearby (15 miles from my home) a young man dressed in black entered the store carrying a rifle. Local media interviewed a witness. The man said he saw the kid, drew down on him, and told him Young man you are not killing anyone in this store today.
He ordered the young man to drop his rifle and he did. Luckily for him the police response time was not bad: 2 minutes from call to engagement.
Luckily the witness was willing to do what needed to be done in that situation. No telling how many lives he saved.
Yet that does not make the drive by media headlines.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

What makes that scary is you can walk down the street or into Wal-mart with a long gun strapped on your back and are within the law. I am not taking that risk.

martym

Oh! I may not have been clear. The police ended the situation and not the CCW man. He just stopped it from happening and was willing to do what he had to do.
Yes rifles and shotguns are good but most stores like Walmart do not permit open carry.
I only open carry while in uniform. Right now I am carrying concealed.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Oh! I may not have been clear. The police ended the situation and not the CCW man. He just stopped it from happening and was willing to do what he had to do.
Yes rifles and shotguns are good but most stores like Walmart do not permit open carry.
I only open carry while in uniform. Right now I am carrying concealed.

I never open carry Marty. I don't want to advertise to the potential bad guy I have a gun. Especially now that I put a laser on my LCP II. :lol: I also don't want to explain to every LEO I would see that yes I have a permit. Much easier to hide it.

martym

I love the laser on my LCP. And I had fried chicken gizzards and livers just a couple of days ago too.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
And it's one thread further down but gizzards and lizards do qualify as a Hostile Situation.

martym

I never open carry Marty. I don't want to advertise to the potential bad guy I have a gun. Especially now that I put a laser on my LCP II. :lol: I also don't want to explain to every LEO I would see that yes I have a permit. Much easier to hide it.
I will never ever open carry. I prefer to just blend in with everyone else.

I will never ever open carry. I prefer to just blend in with everyone else.

I am sort of a casual friend of a sheriffs deputy that runs a parish rifle/pistol range over in La. About a year ago I was showing him my new concealed carry piece, and asked if it were true open carry was legal in La. He answered in the affirmative, but said only guys with small dxxxs open carried, trying to look big.

Like you I prefer to keep it private until the time comes that I need it. I needed a firearm twice in my 74 year old life, and neither time did I have to pull the trigger, it probably just kept me from harm.

in Texas by law if you are cleared of a criminal charge involving a shooting, a civil suit can't be brought (for wrongful death, for example) for that encounter.

Scary thing is....
Acquittal or failure to file charges on a state level still affords someone the opportunity to file suit in Federal Court under US Code Title 42, Chapter 21, Section 1983.
No fun. Bad juju😱

Top Bottom