What's new

Horse hair brushes

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I wonder, why nobody ever speaks about horse hair brushes?
I have one and really like it.

Believe it or not an outbreak of Anthrax from horse hair brushes in the 1920s led to their bad reputation and most manufacturers stopped making them, preferring badger & boar. (This is also when brush makers began stamping 'sterilized' on all their brushes.) Spanish producers kept making them and they remained popular in muslim countries. Horse makes a nice brush, and it's produced without harming the animal as well.

I love my Epsilon horse brush. Absolutely murders soaps and creams. I think a lack of variety in horse brush manufactures compared to boar or badger is partly the reason. That and they are not reviewed or spoken a lot of here. I think if more people who have never tried a horse brush before used a good quality one they would become a believer so to speak.

The have limited appeal because they tangle, they shed, and they do nothing that a good badger brush can’t do better.

They may however appeal to people who for one reason or another don’t want to use badger or boar and cant warm up to synthetics either.

I tried a Vie-Long few years back and was not impressed, tried again a few months back Epsilon, also made by Vie-Long, and while the tangling and shedding can be controlled by limiting oneself to light to-and-fro strokes and regularly combing out the brush after drying, I cannot see any advantage that horse hair brushes might have over other brushes.

After recently shaving exclusively with horse hair brushes for 2 months, I really did appreciate going back to my badger brushes.

B.

Spanish producers kept making them and they remained popular in muslim countries.

Agree on the first point, but after working out of the Middle East for +30 years I have not seen any evidence to the second part of your statement.
In fact, one of the most common budget shaving brushes you will find are Italian Omegas in synthetic or boar.

B.

i have 3 horse epsilon’s in 3 different knot styles. i havent noticed any issue with maintenance.

definitely enjoyable, but i am not sure how non-epsilons perform, never tried them.

i lather with them the same as my badgers and boars. whatever stroke i want, no problem.

Believe it or not an outbreak of Anthrax from horse hair brushes in the 1920s led to their bad reputation and most manufacturers stopped making them, preferring badger & boar. (This is also when brush makers began stamping 'sterilized' on all their brushes.) Spanish producers kept making them and they remained popular in muslim countries. Horse makes a nice brush, and it's produced without harming the animal as well.

Interesting history! Thanks. :a14::a14:

They can also tangle, I think if you do vigorous, tight circles. I haven't had any issues though.

That would be me.

Can someone recommend a combination horse/boar brush for me? I understand mixing in boar hair along with horse prevents tangles. I like big, scritchy brushes that hold about a gallon of water/soap.

I have 2 "Barber Extra " brushes and 3 other standard 23mm knot horse hair Vie-Longs..They may have lost 2 -5 hairs in initial shaves, which is normal, but none since, and they have been in rotation for 8 to 9 years for me. The do not do well with pressure, you must be VERY careful to lightly swirl only the very tips of the brush. Horse hair knots can be didinfected with Mar-V-Cide like any other knot , but a nice warm water soak in SHIP-SHAPE , that not only cleans the hair, but really leaves the hairs in soft luxurious condition... Order King Research Ship-Shape Comb & Brush Cleaner, 2 lb

I have boar, badger, synthetic, and horse brushes. I enjoy them all for different reasons, but the Vie-Long horse is my favorite by a smidge. I like is that it is scrubby but not too scrubby, soft but not too soft, and requires no soaking beyond just getting it wet. Kind of an amalgam of good qualities of the other types. Does it tangle? Sometimes a little, but is easily combed out. I am not gentle with it, but I do use back and forth motions to help prevent this. To be honest though, the reason I bought it is I like variety and am attracted to the esoteric, or out of the ordinary. Come to think of it, doesn't that apply to wetshavers in general?

Speaking of variety, Vie-Long makes brushes with different combinations of mane to tail hair and horse mixed with boar in both short and long lofts. I recommend trying one out. They are not very expensive.

I use a Vie-Long horse hair brush. It is great, for me it is a brush between a boar and a badger.

Never has any issues with it; no tangles, no smell.

I have the Cremo horse hair brush that's made by Vie Long. It has more backbone than badger, but less than boar. More scritch than boar, but less than pure badger. The knot isn't dense, but holds a good amount of lather. It works well, but I find myself reaching for boar or badger more often.

Top Bottom