What's new

Horse Hair Brushes

I have two Vie-Long brushes. A 13051 and a 13061B. Generally I like them both. I have noticed with use that there appears to be sort of a hole in the knot. Seems that I read somewhere that this was common with horse hair brushes. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Back off on the pressure when loading & lathering, this will reduce the size of the hole. You can scroll to the bottom of the page for links to other Horse Hair threads VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

My 13061b does the same thing. When it's completely dry you can take a brush and try to comb out the knotted hair in the "hole." The brush'll be usable no matter what, even if you're unable to comb it out. Try to avoid splaying the bristles on your face or in the bowl; apparently that's how the divot appears.

Thank you, I will comb it out and then try less pressure. It's a beautiful and very nice feeling brush.

yep...it's the pressure.These things are not dense like a Chubby from Simpson,horse hair has different characteristics.Vie-Long makes the best horse brushes by a long shot....A wash in Ship-Shape will soften the knot and help to restore the original shape.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've got a 12750B, seems to be a bit of a shedder. Too busy picking up hairs to worry about a divot.

Top Bottom