What's new

Horse hair brushes

How good are horsehair brushes. I saw one on ebay and thought it was strange at first because it said it was for Muslims. Then I noticed that it was horsehair brush (not boar).

The badger like the boar is an unclean animal in the Muslim faith, hence, the use of horsehair. Horsehair was once a common material for shaving brushes but a big, but apparently unfounded, anthrax scare in the ? late 1800's made it less popular. It has the advantage of being harvested without harm to the animal. I understand the big difference is whether hair from the tail or mane or mixed is used. Opinions seem to vary about them, just like all aspects of this remarkably fascinating hobby. I've thought about getting one just to try but haven't gotten around to it.

Well, from my horse days, the hair seems fairly fine and might not hold up for a good face lathering.

I have a horse hair brush from one of the modern manufacturers. It lathers up with the proper effort, but I'm not a fan. I'll be going back to a previous brush in the near future.

My barber has a horse-hair Omega, which he claims is better than boar or badger. He can certainly work up a lather with it.

But it seems that badger hair and boar hair are only forbidden if you talk to the wrong imam (if that's the correct term). There's some previous discussion at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2692566#post2692566 - in which Andrew linked to http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/...h-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503547980. I thought it was an interesting read.

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states: "According to the most authentic and preferred view of scholars, there is nothing wrong in using a brush made of boar bristles."

Scholars/jurists are unanimous in their view that no part of the pig is edible and it is a matter of consensus that all parts of the pig are unfit for human consumption. However, there is considerable difference of opinion regarding the external use of parts of the pig such as bone, skin that has been tanned, hair, etc. While a few scholars categorize them together and consider all parts of the pig impure (najas) and therefore unlawful (haram) for human use, a second group do not consider such external body parts of the pig as impure, and so they find no harm in making use of these parts as long as they are cleansed of any traces of blood which is undoubtedly haram. There is still a third group of scholars who, while refusing to declare such things unlawful (haram), nevertheless considers them to be undesirable (makruh). The first position is the view generally held by scholars of the Shafi`i school of thought; the second is the view of many scholars from various schools; the third is held by others who do not hold to one particular school of thought. Imam Malik was inclined towards this view regarding the use of pig skin when he said in response to a question whether it was permissible to use it or not. He said, “I dislike it!” In other words, while not going so far as to prohibit it altogether, he considers its use to be undesirable (makruh).

As I understood only Vie-Long from Spain and another company in Turkey manufactures horse shaving brushes. Omega doesn't offer them in their portfolio. Nothing is mentioned in their website regarding horse hair.

In Spain the traditional barber brushes made with horse hair are very popular. Mane and tail is combine in different % on this brushes.

Well, from my horse days, the hair seems fairly fine and might not hold up for a good face lathering.

Mane hair is soft and could break when face lathering, you have to use just the tips with those. Tail hair is strong (a lot like boar) and can take a beating, so that can be used for face lathering. So if you bowl lather, better take a mane brush (or one with a lot of mane hairs in it), if you face lather tail (or the boar/horse tail combo).

I like horse a lot, as I mainly face lather I use a Vie-long horse/boar brush, see the review on that.

Last edited:
I've purchased two horse hair brushes from the same Ebay seller. They are not a branded type brush.

Both brushes are both wonderful brushes! I prefer horse to badger because it doesn't hold onto lather as much as badger. The downside for horse brushes with some is that their tuft is too floppy.

I found my Vie-Long to be a good cream/blow brush. The hair is very soft and fine as stated earlier, and could possibly have sufficient backbone for my tastes if you could find one with a shorter loft. That said every one I have found, has had a tall loft, and consequent floppyness. It was interesting to try, but I sold it off quickly. They are generally very cheap, so if you are curious, or if you bowl lather creams I say give one a try.

I don't know how "unfounded" the anthrax scare was, but it was enough for the US gov't to cease purchasing horse hair brushes for distribution to soldiers.

Horse hair brushes are also typically made from clippings from grooming the animal, so the horse is not harmed to make the brush.

Phil

The badger like the boar is an unclean animal in the Muslim faith, hence, the use of horsehair. Horsehair was once a common material for shaving brushes but a big, but apparently unfounded, anthrax scare in the ? late 1800's made it less popular. It has the advantage of being harvested without harm to the animal.

What?? You mean they have to KILL the hog? :crying: I thought they just shaved it!

How good are horsehair brushes. I saw one on ebay and thought it was strange at first because it said it was for Muslims. Then I noticed that it was horsehair brush (not boar).

The Seller is from Turkey and can be found at bestshave.net listed as Wooden Handle #6, it's ~45 loft and 22 Knot, I've face lathered and bowl lathered, Creams & Soaps. For the price it is a great brush, I've waterproofed it with 4 coats of clear coat nail polish. This is a must buy IMHO, my Vie- Long Horse is very lonely:sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom