What's new

Horse Hair Brush observations

I picked up two Vie Long Horse Hair brushes from Phil at Bullgoose in the last week. Love them both. Find they lather creams effortlessly; not quite as proficient with soaps. Am wondering if it's my technique. Do they need to be broken in? They dry so quickly which is a plus and are both surprisingly soft. Do you find the Horse Hair works better with creams and the Boars better with soaps? Guess it's just another learning curve:001_smile

My BGLE horses took a little time to open up, or I took a little time to adapt. I face-lather, and one change I made was how I wet the brush while lathering. With badgers I normally dribble some water from my fingers into the open breach. With the horse I find it better to open the breach and then dunk the knot about halfway in the sink.

I did not see the scarletta listed...the other brush is a barbers brush.This barber brush will work better if you put a layer of very hot water on top of your puck,and let it sit 5 minutes.This brush has very long hairs,and is not dense.Use very light pressure to whip up lather,use minimum water,then add more by drops.This brush takes some practice,but it's a really nice addition to any collection.The 23mm horse vie-longs are much more versatile if you don't like the barbers brushes

The V-L will load soaps easily, you might increase your load time by 30 seconds if your loft is over 50mm. They will lather well out of the box, the quality of your lather will improve as you become acquainted with your new Horse. I use one gentle shake to remove some water and load up, do a practice lather with your favorite soap. Keep adding small amounts of water until you hit the "sweet spot"/ useable lather, this will help you determine how much water you need when using the Horse, they are a bit different from a Badger or Boar and can work just as efficiently. The tips will become softer with regular use and very little spring/backbone will be lost.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/omshbr.html My mistake. The Gonzalo is the other brush I meant to refer to.
Billyboy:
This Thread entitled, "My Vie-Long Gonzalo Mixed Horse and Boar Brush - 1st Impressions", might be of some interest to you. :yesnod:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...rse-and-Boar-Brush-1st-Impressions?highlight=

attachment.php
“Laughter is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart”. Mort Walker

I did not see the scarletta listed...the other brush is a barbers brush.This barber brush will work better if you put a layer of very hot water on top of your puck,and let it sit 5 minutes.This brush has very long hairs,and is not dense.Use very light pressure to whip up lather,use minimum water,then add more by drops.This brush takes some practice,but it's a really nice addition to any collection.The 23mm horse vie-longs are much more versatile if you don't like the barbers brushes

Agreed. I have the 13800 (which BGS calls Sardinero), which has a 50mm loft and a 21mm knot. It has the bleached/sketch 50/50 mane/tail mix (the softer one) and eats soaps alive.

I've got a couple of Vie-Long horses, and they work fine with hard soaps for me - but I think they do need to be worked a little longer to pick up enough soap.

As for breaking in, yes, they do soften with use - it's not as dramatic as the way boar brushes develop with their split ends, but it's quite a nice subtle improvement.

Alan, the Horse tips take at least twice as long as a Boar to show dramatic softening, at least mine did after ~45-50 lathers, and it's the one I reach for 4 out of my 6 days a week of shaving. It's really one of three Brushes I wouldn't be without, the others are my Muhle Black Fibre and BGS 2012 Beehive Mixed Knot.

Alan, the Horse tips take at least twice as long as a Boar to show dramatic softening, at least mine did after ~45-50 lathers

That's interesting to hear. Mine haven't had that kind of use yet, so I'll have to start getting the horsies out more :001_smile

I just purchased this same brush from Phil at Bullgoose shaving. I still have to break it in. Phil is great to do business with.

45 lathers? Wow. I'm probably halfway there and I love mine already! Can you say, "the gift that keeps on giving"?

Top Bottom