What's new

Horrible Astra SS

Hi Guys

Recently purchased a tuck of Astra SS (Blue). The Superior Platinum is one of my favorite blades. But this stainless one feels just horrible. Lots of tugging, very rough on the skin etc. It barely cuts any hairs on my face. 3-4 strokes and I swapped it out for an Astra SP and it was like comparing day from night.
Now this one is made in Czech Republic and comes in a plastic. I thought all Astra blades are from Russia and packed in cardboard. So I was interested in trying these out. I must say, it's one of the worst blades I've ever used , along with Tiger which also comes from Czech Republic.
Does anyone else have any experience with these? Could it be that I ended up with a bad batch? I can't imagine a bad batch being as horrific as this. I'm afraid of loading another of these to be honest.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Astra blades are recommend especially for those starting out. Imagine them starting out with this blade. They would go back to cartridges immediately. I know I would.

Man! That really stinks! I LOVE Astra SS, prefer them to the SP, by a wide margin. You must have an extremely bad batch, or they are misleading on purpose. Russian made ones are top teir blades, for MANY people, not just me. So sorry my friend!
I agree, the Russian ones are fantastic. These could be a knock off or just really old blades.

Hi Guys

Recently purchased a tuck of Astra SS (Blue). The Superior Platinum is one of my favorite blades. But this stainless one feels just horrible. Lots of tugging, very rough on the skin etc. It barely cuts any hairs on my face. 3-4 strokes and I swapped it out for an Astra SP and it was like comparing day from night.
Now this one is made in Czech Republic and comes in a plastic. I thought all Astra blades are from Russia and packed in cardboard. So I was interested in trying these out. I must say, it's one of the worst blades I've ever used , along with Tiger which also comes from Czech Republic.
Does anyone else have any experience with these? Could it be that I ended up with a bad batch? I can't imagine a bad batch being as horrific as this. I'm afraid of loading another of these to be honest.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

They could indeed be fakes. I have Czech Astra SS in the plastic dispenser and they are decent blades. Your dispenser looks different. Mine is yellowish plastic. Also the wrapper doesn't look like the original paper and printing.

I also have vintage Czechoslovakian made Astra SS which are really good. My plastic dispensers are yellowed but also the card in your tuck looks modern compared to what I have.

Attachments

• czechastra.jpg
    czechastra.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 32
Same experience here. Astra SP is one of my favorite blades. Very smooth and comfortable.

When I went for a BBS shave with a Astra SS, I got one of the worst irritations. Not sure why but I'm not a fan of the SS.

Top Bottom