What's new

Horn Plisson HMW #16

Fitting this brush should arrive today - as it is a "graduation" gift to myself, and I just happen to finish my last final, walked home, went to the mail box and - BAM this sucker was awaitin' for me. Standard Plisson build quality (medeocre - as one portion of the horn doesn't fit perfect) however the bristle is simply stunning on this. Unlike the Rooney Finest the head on this shaving brush is truly something to behold..... without question the most gorgeous head of badger hair I have laid eyes on, perfectly shaped/formed... a true delight. Like the last HMW Horn I had (I believe my last one was a #14) the horn handle has a VERY dissapointing feel to it. Not that it feels "bad" per se, but it has the typical "light" hollow feeling Plisson handle. Decent ergonomics, and a mighty, mighty "regal" shaving brush, as it seems to "commmand" a presence. Overall - I like it, but I am not "wowed" - Plissons have never really done all that much to me, and they always "seem" way WAY nicer online/in stories/etc - then when you actually put on in your hand - where as I feel the opposite is true with other manufactures.... such as Kent, Simpson, Savile Row, etc. While a Savile Row or a plane jane looking Simpson may just "look" like another shaving brush - when you shove one in your hand, you get a distinct, and unexpected feel of craftsmanship and quality..... Plissons have always been a bit "fruity" for lack of a better word, for me. They are very toyish feeling, and are a little TOO pretty.

Without further ranting....
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
roughrider said:
Congrats Joel. Where are you graduating from and what field?

Business Management and Marketing

Thank god it's over..... school/work/all the community projects and such I had been doing all together had really been killing me.

Last edited:
Joel,
Congrats on finishing up. I remember how awful my last semester as an undergrad was. So much useless stuff and busy work. Anyway, now you'll have more time to play with all of your new toys!

Joel,

First, congratulations on graduating. I know the relief of walking out of that last final... Also, I'm from San Diego originally- Chico is a great school, so again, congrats!

Second, GREAT pics of your newest addition! Good detail, nice closeups- and excellent review as well. Apparently, the pics are deceiving. The handle not only looks heavy and substantial, but the quality of the 100% real, genuine, authentic, orgranic, natural, non-man-made horn at least APPEARS to be top notch. It sounds like once you lay hands on the thing, it's a little disappointing.

I'm sure the shave will be brilliant, as the badger looks and sounds top-shelf.

Great looking brush. Congratulations on your graduation. I will be attending my step-son's graduation from Graduate School today.

Better?

I guess I assumed it was fake because of the description of it being "typically light." All of the genuine horn that I've come into contact with (shaving brushes, hairbrush handles, pipes, shofars) all felt pretty heavy, sturdy, and substantial.

...Surprised/disappointed to hear that Plisson uses weak/light horn. But also I'm kinda a little more desirous of one now that I know that they actually use real stuff, not plastic!!!

DrPeter, thanks for the correction...

NYLaw (sorry, your name escapes me right now),

I was also surprised by the reports on the handle. A discussion with Joel revealed that the handle is light because it is hollow. Instead of being a single, solid piece of horn, it is actually made up of four pieces with a hollow middle.

NYLaw said:
Better?

...Surprised/disappointed to hear that Plisson uses weak/light horn. But also I'm kinda a little more desirous of one now that I know that they actually use real stuff, not plastic!!!

DrPeter, thanks for the correction...

Just as an FYI - the horn is not "weak" per se, but it is "light" overall as the horn as Kyle mentioned is hollow, and is made up of multiple pieces. By no means does it feel like a "***" but it is much lighter than a standard resin handled shaving brush, and as a result feels "wimpy" for such an expensive brush. The Euro White Plisson on the brush test however is a hollow & thin plastic, and is INCREDIBLY light and feels remarkably cheap. For brushes this expensive - it is a major letdown..... again - Plisson's have never done much for me, and have always been a little "wimpy" in my eyes.

Kyle,

Sorry, but i have to make a correction once more:biggrin:

The handle is composed of two pieces:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Starring: the (genuine:wink: )horn handled Plisson #20 in High White Mountain (Blanc Haute Montagne) with a 28 mm knot

Peter

drP said:
Kyle,

Sorry, but i have to make a correction once more:biggrin:

The handle is composed of two pieces:

Peter
Talk to Joel. I am just regurgitating the information I was fed.

Peter,
I was told the bottom portion of the brush (the detached portion in your picture) was comprised of 3 seperate pieces of horn. The "cap" on the bottom, the indented ring, and the portion above the indented ring which has threads. When I look closely on mine, I can see the "grain" of the horn in its natural locations is not the same. Also upon close inspection - it looks as though the pieces are glued together on the bottom. Does yours look like this?

Top Bottom