What's new

Hope You Guy's Like Maple Handles

Graydog

Biblical Innards
We had a Big Storm last night and My one of The backyard Maple came down
It was 11:30 and I was taking Grace out for the last time when all of a sudden
I heard a loud Crack and watched as she came down :( I felt bad ,She had been there for
along time . So I am going to make a few Brushes just to show off her beauty .
The Brush in the photo is from a branch that I used a little while ago to make that one in The Auction and this one . I am sure that she has some beauty hiding in that massive .
aa1.jpg
aaaaaaaaa.png

As you might have guessed, I like just about anything made out of wood. I am learning a lot about making brush handles from you. My next brush should be made on the lathe in the basement.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Holy COW!!! That's a massive piece of maple! Oh man. You gotta do something. Make pool cues, brushes, guitars, hell A TABLE!!! Wow.

In honor of the fallen tree: a haiku

Trees falling at night
Brushes are waiting inside
Steve knows where they hide

Last edited:
We had a Big Storm last night and My one of The backyard Maple came down
It was 11:30 and I was taking Grace out for the last time when all of a sudden
I heard a loud Crack and watched as she came down :( I felt bad ,She had been there for
along time . So I am going to make a few Brushes just to show off her beauty .
The Brush in the photo is from a branch that I used a little while ago to make that one in The Auction and this one . I am sure that she has some beauty hiding in that massive .View attachment 921829 View attachment 921828

Glad you and yours are safe! With green wood like that, do you need to let it sit for a while or can you turn right away?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Glad that you are all safe. Sorry for the loss of the tree. Many a brush handle there. You might be quite busy on the lathe for some time.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Glad you and yours are safe! With green wood like that, do you need to let it sit for a while or can you turn right away?

Thanks We are all fine .
The last Backyard wood I used sat in My shop for over a year.
I still have some older stuff from that time .
This stuff will have to sit and dry for some time .
I can rough turn some bowls with the green wood and then let them dry out over time before I finish
turning them .

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
By my reckoning, you're going to need a HUGE knot to make an uber brush out of that newly fallen handle stock. Something for the Friendly Giant perhaps?

I do like maple. I think the brush in my avatar is maple. It was made from the top of an old 16oz English Leather bottle. Before and after photos below. It has a 30mm Silvertip knot.

That is a shame, such a beauty of a tree. However, I'm sure you'll do it justice with your work. Looking forward to the brushes and other gorgeous wood works you'll be sharing in the coming year or so. Glad to hear no one was hurt, with a tree that big it is scary to see the destruction they can wreak.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
By my reckoning, you're going to need a HUGE knot to make an uber brush out of that newly fallen handle stock. Something for the Friendly Giant perhaps?
You mean Bigfoot????[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Sounds like your not gonna be short on wood, Steve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I do like maple. I think the brush in my avatar is maple. It was made from the top of an old 16oz English Leather bottle. Before and after photos below. It has a 30mm Silvertip knot.

You did an awesome job! Never heard of doing this.

Top Bottom