What's new

Honour thy Father

That’s great you can use the Brut 33 and have thoughts of your father. I got an eighth of a bottle of polo that my Dad used on the regular from my Moms place as well as a bottle of Mont Blanc my Sister bought in France for my Dad. I’m not a big cologne guy but will use them time to time

Got my dad's black handle Gillette Super Speed today, along with a vintage Old Spice shaving mug from him today. We couldn't find the brush,yet, sadly. My grandmother gave it to him in 1977, after we got back from a tour in Okinawa.
The razor is a 4th QTR 1976 model (thanks for the excellent Gillette database!!)
I cleaned them up tonight, and I'm not sure it the chips in the chrome plating on the wings will catch if I decide to give it a try.

Got my dad's black handle Gillette Super Speed today, along with a vintage Old Spice shaving mug from him today. We couldn't find the brush,yet, sadly. My grandmother gave it to him in 1977, after we got back from a tour in Okinawa.
The razor is a 4th QTR 1976 model (thanks for the excellent Gillette database!!)
I cleaned them up tonight, and I'm not sure it the chips in the chrome plating on the wings will catch if I decide to give it a try.
@Hydguy how did the super speed shave?

@Hydguy how did the super speed shave?

I didn't try it. I decided to just send it to Razor Emporium and have it assessed.
They called me today, and the razor is good mechanically, but I'm going to get the doors and safety bar re-plated, just so that I will get many years of use out of it. The handle, knob, and T-bar are staying original.
Hope to have it back in a week or two.
Yes, the re-plating is a lot more than the retail value, but to me, it's worth it to be able to use it for many years to come.

Thanks for asking, and I will certainly give an update when I get it back and give it a run over my ugly mug!

I didn't try it. I decided to just send it to Razor Emporium and have it assessed.
They called me today, and the razor is good mechanically, but I'm going to get the doors and safety bar re-plated, just so that I will get many years of use out of it. The handle, knob, and T-bar are staying original.
Hope to have it back in a week or two.
Yes, the re-plating is a lot more than the retail value, but to me, it's worth it to be able to use it for many years to come.

Thanks for asking, and I will certainly give an update when I get it back and give it a run over my ugly mug!
You can’t put a price on sentiment, once you get it back it will be like new. Looking forward to ti seeing some pics and hearing about how it shaves

Got my Dad's 1976 W4 back from Razor Emporium yesterday!
Turned out beautiful.
They re-plated it in a satin finish, instead the bright finish. Not sure why, but it looks beautiful, and I used it this morning and had a wonderful shave.
They did leave the black on the handle original.
IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5734.JPG

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My dad used a Gillette slim twist, I got one for Father's Day and it has become my favourite razor. The smell of Palmolive cream in the bathroom still reminds me of him more than anything. He used Blue Stratos, Brut and Old Spice aftershave. The only boar brush with similar bristles to the one he used has a wooden handle instead of the plastic one he had.
Recreating his shave has become one of my favourite parts of DE shaving.

My dad used a Gillette slim twist, I got one for Father's Day and it has become my favourite razor. The smell of Palmolive cream in the bathroom still reminds me of him more than anything. He used Blue Stratos, Brut and Old Spice aftershave. The only boar brush with similar bristles to the one he used has a wooden handle instead of the plastic one he had.

I remember watching him shave when we lived in base housing at Kessler AFB back in the late '70's early '80's. Not sure what soap he used after he finished the OS puck that was in the mug.
Haven't found his brush yet. He said he has seen it since he retired and moved back down here to Fl, but it wasn't with the mug and razor, so he might have tossed it. But I haven't given up looking for it, because there are a lot of boxes still to go through. He switched to electric sometime in the early '80's.
And my grandaddy's Rolls Razor is somewhere in the house too, and it's in perfect condition. He didn't use it but a few times, because it was such a pain to use.

I remember watching him shave when we lived in base housing at Kessler AFB back in the late '70's early '80's. Not sure what soap he used after he finished the OS puck that was in the mug.
Haven't found his brush yet. He said he has seen it since he retired and moved back down here to Fl, but it wasn't with the mug and razor, so he might have tossed it. But I haven't given up looking for it, because there are a lot of boxes still to go through. He switched to electric sometime in the early '80's.
And my grandaddy's Rolls Razor is somewhere in the house too, and it's in perfect condition. He didn't use it but a few times, because it was such a pain to use.

nice! Gotta find that razor!

my ‘64 slim was my daily driver for quite some time, great razors! I love the idea of recreating memories like using heirloom razors or the same gear as your dad.

nice! Gotta find that razor!

Funny thing.. When we found Dad's razor and mug, mom started talking about Grandaddy's Rolls Razor, and I remember seeing it as a kid, because of the art deco style border on the case.
She then told me a story about a visit by my great granddaddy, and granddaddy showing him the Rolls, and telling him what a waste it was because it was so difficult to use.

My Dad (see avatar) used a Gem and a Rolls, and I used them both when I started Shaving. Neither one works well for me now, but this thread has given me the idea of a shadow box for the copies in my collection.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
My father shaved with a Gillette Tech razor and Gillette blades.
That’s about all I know

My father is a fan of these BIC's, I am not, I tried them when l was younger and cannot stand them. I asked if he ever used an SR, he said no. He has used a DE however I received the same response when I asked if he'd go back to a DE. He loves his BIC's.
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.21.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 8.21.12 AM.png

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
My father is a fan of these BIC's, I am not, I tried them when l was younger and cannot stand them. I asked if he ever used an SR, he said no. He has used a DE however I received the same response when I asked if he'd go back to a DE. He loves his BIC's.

I also like the Bic One and have three in reserve.

Top Bottom