What's new

honing without tape

what is the secret to honing without tape. i know there is a way to do it. are there just some razors that require it due to a warped blade or can you hone through that and if you can how do you hone through a warped blade. idk how to fix geometry and tell when ive gotten it fixed. i think i may have managed to do it with one but i dont understand how so any help would be appreciated

It's just like honing with tape. I guess I don't understand the question. Tape doesn't magically fix geometry issues.

You can use the sharpie, on both the bevel and the spine, to see if and where you're making good contact.

I'm unsure what you are asking. There is no secret to honing without tape.

If your razor was previously honed with tape and you try to hone without, you will probably be better off resetting the bevel. At a minimum a sharpie test is recommended as the honing angles will differ slightly and you might not hit the edge when honing a previously taped razor without tape.

As @Darth Scandalous said above, tape will not fix geometry issues.

If your razor was previously honed with tape, you're going to have to reset the angle with a new bevel, if wasn't then you should be good to go. Adding a layer of tape would be one way to be sure.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
what is the secret to honing without tape. i know there is a way to do it. are there just some razors that require it due to a warped blade or can you hone through that and if you can how do you hone through a warped blade. idk how to fix geometry and tell when ive gotten it fixed. i think i may have managed to do it with one but i dont understand how so any help would be appreciated
There is no secret.

I try to buy vintage razors by the lot on auction sites. Try to find a lot of 3-5 blades and hone them without tape. You’ll notice that some will hone up without any issues while a couple of others may be a bit of a puzzle. Sometimes it’s nice to start an unfamiliar approach with some new-to-you blades.

If you don’t have any successful experience honing a razor, then “fixing” geometry may not be the wisest start for you. You won’t really know if you are improving or worsening and you won’t likely know when things are going right or wrong. Like your question indicates, you probably should start with a different razor.

If you don’t have any successful experience honing a razor, then “fixing” geometry may not be the wisest start for you. You won’t really know if you are improving or worsening and you won’t likely know when things are going right or wrong. Like your question indicates, you probably should start with a different razor.

I have to strongly agree. I've been honing for 10 years now and I never have selected a project that requires me to change/alter/fix the geometry of a razor. I don't have the chops for that type of work and I have tons more experience than the OP and many others at B&B. It's about knowing your limitations.

I normally select either new stock, quality straights or, vintage straights that have been restored by skilled hands. As a last resort I have rescues a dozen or so from the Bay and Etsy over the years provided the blade/edge appears at first glance to be workable.

The OP is probably better off getting a brand new razor and simply using honing as a way to maintain the edge.

What is it you are trying to Fix? Modifying your stroke will get the razor honed, without any fixing.

Post some photos of your problem for specific help. I is common for new honers to “over-do”. Learning to identify issues, their causes and work arounds is all part of learning to hone.

Very few razors are perfectly ground and flat, they don’t need to be to hone and shave well.

Post some pics.

I much prefer to hone without tape. Better feedback; easier to read for me. Yet, with a big 8/8 Sheffield wedge I still use tape.

Top Bottom