What's new

Honing with lapping film and micro mesh

After starting to shave with a straight I got more interested in straight razors. I would like to get some old razors from ebay and add them to my collection. I also would like to make them ready for shaving.
Browsing this forum I found some threads about lapping films and micro mesh. They seem to be suitable for honing and are much cheaper than hones. So I think it is a good way to start.

I think about getting lapping film 9um, 3um and 1um and 0,5um diamond paste for finishing. Alternatively I can get micromesh in 12000, 8000, 4000 and 1000 grade. I would use the micro mesh 1000 to set a bevel. I have read that the paste can be applied on a balsa strop. Why balsa wood? What makes it different from other woods (beside the density) for a pasting strop? Can I use birch as well?

The prices for micro mesh and lapping filim (Al2O3) are about the same. What would you prefer?

Would the micro mesh and the lapping film setup work? What are the differences between micro mesh and lapping film?

Last edited:
After starting to shave with a straight I got more interested in straight razors. I would like to get some old razors from ebay and add them to my collection. I also would like to make them ready for shaving.
Browsing this forum I found some threads about lapping films and micro mesh. They seem to be suitable for honing and are much cheaper than hones. So I think it is a good way to start.

I think about getting lapping film 9um, 3um and 1um and 0,5um diamond paste for finishing. Alternatively I can get micromesh in 12000, 8000, 4000 and 1000 grade. I would use the micro mesh 1000 to set a bevel. I have read that the paste can be applied on a balsa strop. Why balsa wood? What makes it different from other woods (beside the density) for a pasting strop? Can I use birch as well?

The prices for micro mesh and lapping filim (Al2O3) are about the same. What would you prefer?

Would the micro mesh and the lapping film setup work? What are the differences between micro mesh and lapping film?

To be perfectly honest, you can skip the pastes if you get the .5um film. Everything I have read about diamond paste is that it gives a harsh edge that not many people like.
CrOx .5 um paste on balsa is a better finishing media than diamond for most people. Balsa has a bit of give to it, which helps smooth the edge out.

The 9um film is pretty darn fine, I would personally skip it, and go with a 15um, still super fine but it cuts a bit faster.

9um is roughly equivalent to 1200 grit.

Works pretty nice for setting a bevel.

Woodcraft has the precision granite plate on sale currently for $19.99. Excellent for use with films. Get one.

Woodcraft has the precision granite plate on sale currently for $19.99. Excellent for use with films. Get one.

This plate looks good, but shipping to europe would cost as much as the plate. I will try to use a glass plate mounted on wood for the films.

I posted my glass & lapping film in this thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103933

Once setup, it went well and the results after each paper was similar to what other members get from similar grit from stones. Today was my first shave and after a little stropping I got my first near DFS. I think it's a wise choice for people who aren't collecting razors or honing as a hobby/business.

Did you use PSA backed films or any adhesive to fix the films to the plates or will water be ok?

I ordered PSA backed films.
Can PSA backed films be removed and remounted?
l saw in your thread that you use a glass plate of the same size as the films. Doesn't that reduce the chance to use the whole surface of the films? l think l will rather use the side area of the films. So l thought if will be good to cut the films in 2 halves.

Can PSA backed films be removed and remounted?
l saw in your thread that you use a glass plate of the same size as the films. Doesn't that reduce the chance to use the whole surface of the films? l think l will rather use the side area of the films. So l thought if will be good to cut the films in 2 halves.
You're right. It's better to use half the size. I hurried too much to think about this detail :redface:

I would avoid the PSA backed films, lint, dust and grit get stuck to them easily, and nigh impossible to get off.

Lots of little bumps under it=bad surface for honing.

Water sticks them down perfectly fine.

I would avoid the PSA backed films, lint, dust and grit get stuck to them easily, and nigh impossible to get off.

Lots of little bumps under it=bad surface for honing.

Water sticks them down perfectly fine.

What he said.

Also, yes a glass plate is perfectly fine to use. The granite is just super-sweet.

What he said.

Also, yes a glass plate is perfectly fine to use. The granite is just super-sweet.

Wheres the pics of your pimped out granite slab?

P.S. I'm expecting to see an 8x3 piece of granite with a Seraphim style stand raising it up by about 2". Maybe even an irrigation system to drip water on the film while your honing.... :lol:

Nah.

Looks like this fresh outta the box:

attachment.php

9" x 12" I think?

If that is steel, then it'd be good.

If it's aluminum (I'm guessing that it very well may be extruded aluminum), my concern would be as to the softness of aluminum, if you bang it with something, it is very easy to put a divit, scratch, whatever in aluminum, and thus lose your perfection flat for the films.

$20

Granite

Rock solid!:thumbup1:

EDIT: I just found that the Pinnacle plate is aluminum. probably it would be just fine. But I like my granite!

Yes, aluminum, and appears to be machined out of a solid billet.

I am pretty careful with my stuff, so not too worried about dinging it.
If I do, I will grab the granite block.:thumbup1:

Yes, aluminum, and appears to be machined out of a solid billet.

I am pretty careful with my stuff, so not too worried about dinging it.
If I do, I will grab the granite block.:thumbup1:

I say extruded aluminum with a machined flat surface (i.e.- lapped surface).

I'm sure it'll work just fine.

I picked up the pinnacle from my local woodcraft. It was easier to bike home with. It is pretty welll made and unless you do something strange to it I doubt there would be any issues

Top Bottom