What's new

Honing wedges.

Howdy all, I just got a wedge in the mail and I’m having some trouble honing it.

I did the marker test to see how the stone hits the blade without tape and it hits behind the edge. Put a layer of tape and it still hits behind the edge. Two layers and it is almost right to the edge. Should I leave two layers and just set the bevel like that? Letting the stone grind down the edge so it will eventually hit?

Anyone have any tips for wedges that might be useful in this situation.

I would first calculate the bevel angle with the two layers of tape on. Be aware that often, because of the lack of hollow, the contact point can be the edge of the tape rather that the high point on the spine. This means that you have to be careful to really center the tape.

Slightly off topic, but I had a proud owner of a new near wedge ask me how many layers of tape he should use.

I know full wedges generally require tape, but I have never used tape with a near wedge. Am I missing something?

I use one layer of quality 3m tape and hone using films/stones as usual, then remove tape to strop. Mine is a Wade and Butcher, "You Lather Well, I'll Shave Well" full wedge. Shave beautifully.

Slightly off topic, but I had a proud owner of a new near wedge ask me how many layers of tape he should use.

I know full wedges generally require tape, but I have never used tape with a near wedge. Am I missing something?
I also have never used tape on a near wedge. But would be interested in hearing some opinions.

Tape makes it a lot easier to hit the edge on thick grinds with poor geometry, of course. I had a JoRodge chopper years ago that three different professional honers who had assured me they could do it without tape abandoned that and resorted to 1, 1 and 1.5 (lulwat) layers of tape respectively. But keep in mind, often heavy grinds and choppers are already VERY high up on the edge angle. Under 17 is rare. (but not unheard of, I've got a couple as low as 11*). Most fall in the 18-21* range... which to my face is dull to begin with. Adding a layer of tape gets you up into the low-mid 20's... which is dull for anyone. I've got pocket knives sharper than that.

That's the catch 22 of these nice fat wedges in my opinion... and why I basically never shave with them (though I have a couple small wedges that shave a treat and a few hollow ground "chopper" sized razors).

Top Bottom