What's new

Honing the 70HRC Titan Razor

Superhard steels can be pretty sketchy at very tight bevel angles. It's not microchipping or even nanochipping. More like picochipping or femto chipping. I don't know. I just find very very hard steels work nicely with a compound bevel and the final bevel at 17 degrees or even looser. Probably depends a lot on, well, a lot of stuff.

The good thing about a too acute bevel is you can always apply a microbevel with a half dozen laps on your finisher. A too obtuse bevel, there is no fixing it except flawless honing and trying to not make any mistakes.

And I may resort to a microbevel, eventually. It's a good suggestion, in extremis. But I have some hope for the "fuzz up the edge with a known-comfortable JNat finisher" strategy.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The good thing about a too acute bevel is you can always apply a microbevel with a half dozen laps on your finisher. A too obtuse bevel, there is no fixing it except flawless honing and trying to not make any mistakes.
This part of your post doesn't make sense to me. I'm only an engineer. Please elaborate.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This part of your post doesn't make sense to me. I'm only an engineer. Please elaborate.
A bevel angle that is too acute can be fixed with a compound bevel. Hone normally, tape, hone a half dozen finish laps. Final bevel is then closer to the normal range, and more robust.

Top Bottom