What's new

Honing stones help required

I would like to strat shaving with SRs, finding SRs is easy enough, but stones are a bit different
I have 2 questions regarding honing stones.
1. As I plan to get new SRs, what grit number(s) is enough to maintain edge? (I don't plan to restore old SRs)
2. Are those honing stones on AliExpress any good, or I should stay away from them?
Thank you.

Legion

Staff member
If you are just maintaining an already honed razor you just need a finishing stone. That could be something like a synthetic water stone, around 12k. Or there are a whole bunch of natural stone options.

Since you only need to buy one stone I would probably steer away from Aliexpress, and get something with more track record.

I use stones to sharpen premium knives, but not razors, so if you’re after good stones, Japanese Waterstones are really good. There’s a brand called Ice Bear that makes good quality ones.

You don't need a full set for starts, just a finisher and maybe an 8k to drop down to if needed. My first finisher was a Naniwa 12k. It's beginner friendly and gives a good edge. You'll need a lapping plate to keep your stones flat. I like my Atoma 400. DMT is also a good brand.

For now, just learn to shave with a good shave ready razor, and learn to strop. Sharpening can come later.

There are a million ways to do all this, as you will see in the different answers this thread will yield. I was confused when doing research.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The easiest and most economical way to maintain an already shave-ready edge on a SR is to use lapping films.

I started with just lapping films (about US$50 setup). Then added diamond pasted balsa (<US$100 setup) for exceptional edges. Once I had about 10 SRs, it became more economical to set bevels on whetstones. I still refined on lapping films and pasted balsa strops. Any questions, just PM me on B&B.

For whetstones, I bought and still use (after over 100 SRs), cheap Chinese synthetic ones from AliExpress, a 400/1000 and 3000/8000.

I agree with kyle89. Get a diamond plate (atoma 400 or 600) then a 8k stone and 12k or other finisher. I would say it is safe bet to go ahead and get the 8k and atoma plate. I would however get your razors and have them honed by someone else a few times so you can try out different edges (synthetic vs natural stones). Once you found what you like you can jump down that rabbit hole!

This is my advice, but I am just a few weeks into straight razor honing.

To answer your questions quick:
1. 8k and 12k. 12k is a great edge, even for a tough beard like mine. You Can go Higher in grit, for example with Diamond loaded balsa (cheap). Your face might love a shave from 0.1um Diamond paste (around 100k grit) or it will be too sharp and harsh for you. Most are satisfied with 12k.

2. Stay away from them if you don't find someone that uses them and will guide you through them. Beware, not many use them. Be prepared that you will not be satisfied with them.

You will get a lot of opinions so you'll have to trust someone, not all of us, everybody Has their preference. Pick an option that you think will suit you best based on your situation, needs and expectations. Chances are you will learn by yourself and get a lot of honing gear over time. Only then will you find your preference, by trying them All. Sure it's costly, but many hobbies are. My advice would be to simply start with an 8k and 12k synthetic stones paired with a diamond plate like atoma for lapping.

I didn't try honing film. I heard it's a great option, but May be better for experienced hand, that already knows what it's doing. Some started on film and succeeded. Definitely possible to go that way as well.

1. To maintain your edge I would say you only need an 8k and a 12k stone, or film equivalent. Anything above 12k, Stone, film or Diamond paste on balsa is personal preference, some love it, some can't handle it. Start with a 8k and a 12k, if that's not keen enough for you, you Can follow up with Diamond loaded balsa, since that is probably the cheapest way to go Higher in grit. 30k Stone May cost you 300-500$ easy. Too expensive for my taste. Synthetic stones seem like a begginer friendly way.

If you go with stones, you will need something to lap them flat with. You can use wet&dry sandpaper on some flat surcafe (glass, acrylic, granite,...) or you Can invest in a Diamond plate like atoma. Atoma will be a little more practital to use. But it will cost you around 50$, more if you need to ship it somewhere outside US.

2. I would stay away from no brand AliExpress stones. They are usually narrow, their grit rating is not reliable. A honer that knows what he's doing can use them successfully, but not many prefer to use them. If you don't have a budget for stones like Naniwa, Shapton, Norton, King, etc. then find someone who used AliExpress stones and if they recommend them you can try it. But be prepared that there is a Higher chance it will be a waste of money, time and effort if you go for AliExpress stones, instead of trusted brands.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Nearly everyone on this sub forum shaves with a straight razor and hones his own straight razors. Most are satisfied with their edges. Therefore, everyone has a workable method of making sharp and keeping sharp. However, you can't just go at it randomly and expect quick results. Random honing gives you random edges. Pick ONE guy to emulate. Do it EXACTLY as he does, with EXACTLY the same equipment, and maybe in a very short time you will get similar results. Don't mix and match all the little details. Follow one honer, exactly in all details, and within a very few attempts, maybe even the first try, you will succeed.

We learn by trial and error. Mostly error. Lots of errors. It takes time for all those trials and errors, and it can be frustrating, and discouraging. The trick to getting a good edge early in your honing journey is do the learning part later. In the beginning, don't try to learn. Just DO. Follow, copy, succeed. Once you have created or refreshed a few edges, by all means, go wild, try stuff. Learn. Experiment. Find your own path. But first, just follow. Copy. Do. Succeed.

You can see from just reading the replies on this thread that there are a lot of different styles of honing. Some work better than others, some cost more than others, some are easier than others, but they all work at least reasonably well. Don't follow your own judgement until you have some judgement to follow. In the meanwhile, choose your guru and do like he does.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/newbie-honing-compendium.545370/

Thank you all for answers.
I'll see to get 8K and 12K for start
Also a good lapping stone
There will be a lot of trial and error, but I have a lot of time to practice.

Buy a truly shave ready razor from a trusted supplier.
If you like the edge, find out what the last 2 stones in the progression were.
Buy those stones and a way to keep them flat. Done.

This would be nice if I didn't live in Montenegro. I barely found I guy who sells DE razors and software, SR's are unicorns, and stones are unicon's unicorns.
Just make sure to pass any and all potential purchases past your wife for final approval first. If she has any hesitancy or nagging then it’s x-nay on that stone-ay.

Good luck on your stone journey!
She is already rolling her eyes at my razors and soaps 🙄

Top Bottom