What's new

Honing Series: Coticule & Japanese Natural

I've been working on a few projects on Japanese natural honing for a few months to show a few of the stones I have and what methods I use. The main goal is to tap into your enthusiasm on these methods to hopefully have more of you share any instructional methods regarding straight razor shaving.

That being said now back to the point of these videos. I'm hoping to get a series going from basic methods to experiments that I've done using Japanese stones. I'll use a few different stones and hopefully take up some volunteers to send their razors in to have in the videos.

I'll be the first one to say that honing isn't difficult, it just takes patience. I also hope most who don't hone for lack of attempting hopefully look into getting into honing your own razors. Honing isn't a talent, just repetition and anyone can be successful at it if you want to learn and be patient. Most importantly with honing to keep in the back of your mind is just have fun.
-----------
This series is a different way of honing. This isn't honing 101 but more of what I do and what works for my taste in shaving results. There are many ways to achieve an edge but most importantly is to learn what works for you. As I say in the video; if you're happy with the results, then you're doing something right.

This method is going to be pretty basic in relation to honing with a Japanese natural. The funny thing is this is the current way I hone and it has been fun to work with and satisfying with the results of a very comfortable edge.

Tools:

* Water
* DMT 1.2K
* Coticule - Le verte and slurry stone
* Iwasaki Asagi Select
* Clean towels or soft tshirt

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZrvTRcuLOw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ymmj-MhluE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYmr9WSc2Rc[/YOUTUBE]

This is the first video I've done and had my challenges but I promise the next ones will be better.

Most importantly I hope this gets folks to share their way on video on any kind of method that you may use. We're all hopefully open to learn something new.

Last edited:
Nice post Mark! I haven't had the time to watch them yet, but am real interested in the Japanese stones.

I believe I got a pink slip in my mail yesterday that I hope is for me to pick up my Oozuku Asagi I got from Maxim. Can't wait to try it out and the timing of this post is perfect :thumbup:

Bravo!!

Very well done, Mark!

I watched all three and fouind them very informative and enjoyable... Can't wait to see more!

I love honing videos, than you so much for sharing your methods and experiences. I actually use a very similar routine of coticule to nakayama kiita.

Thanks guys. I hope to get a few more out over the next few months from using different methods I use Jnats.

It does give a fine edge this way.

I love honing videos, than you so much for sharing your methods and experiences. I actually use a very similar routine of coticule to nakayama kiita.

Are you using particular coticules or Jnats? I found that some coticules don't work as well using this particular method. This coticule works the best and got me thinking that because this one has a thick slurry release and the thicker I start with the better edge I get after the Jnat. My LPB and Le Lat don't do as nice a job so which is odd.

Those videos were a fun view! I like your honing style and your stones :001_smile
I cant wait to see your progressions, with naguras, in the future! Imo, one cant have too many honing videos to watch.

Thanks,

Mac

Are you using particular coticules or Jnats? I found that some coticules don't work as well using this particular method. This coticule works the best and got me thinking that because this one has a thick slurry release and the thicker I start with the better edge I get after the Jnat. My LPB and Le Lat don't do as nice a job so which is odd.

I don't know what coticule I have been using for this method because the ones I use are Vintage ones, so the layer is unknown. One of them is a pink Droescher coticule of Choice grade, and the other the brand is not known since there is no stamp or box.

The only new coticule I own is from the La nouvelle vein and it is a little tricky to use since it's very fast in slurry and very slow on water, finishing edge is very mellow.
I use a Nakayama Kiita for the JNat stage and finish with a tomonagura slurry until pastey. I then refresh the slurry thinner than before and dilute as I hone until it is just water and finish on water.

Mark, I watched them all and each was very helpful. It's always easier for me to learn by watching. I have a coti in the mail so I plan to put some of your tips to use soon.

...Ray

Very nice, thank you! :thumbup1:

Two questions from someone who is completely inexperienced with honing but is thinking about getting into it with a DMT 1200 and coticule combo to start out with:

1. Why the soap on the DMT at the beginning?

2. When you are honing on the coticule and doing half-strokes, it looks like you don't lift the blade up at all but keep it on the hone as you bring it back from the stroke to begin the next stroke. (does that make sense?) What is the purpose of that? How does that not work to degrade the edge you are working on?

I am completely new to this so I apologize if these questions should be apparent. Thanks.

Very nice, thank you! :thumbup1:

Two questions from someone who is completely inexperienced with honing but is thinking about getting into it with a DMT 1200 and coticule combo to start out with:

1. Why the soap on the DMT at the beginning?

2. When you are honing on the coticule and doing half-strokes, it looks like you don't lift the blade up at all but keep it on the hone as you bring it back from the stroke to begin the next stroke. (does that make sense?) What is the purpose of that? How does that not work to degrade the edge you are working on?

I am completely new to this so I apologize if these questions should be apparent. Thanks.

Hi Nathan,

1. Water and soap are unnecessary for using a DMT but highly recommended for lubrication. The touch of soap adds a little more lubrication and the water is nice to see the razor pushing the water.

2. Half strokes is just a method of making quicker use of passes. When honing half strokes, X strokes or circles can be used. Pretty much it's just what you're accustomed to ie. If honing on a japanese natural I prefer circles because some of my stones are smaller.

1. Water and soap are unnecessary for using a DMT but highly recommended for lubrication. The touch of soap adds a little more lubrication and the water is nice to see the razor pushing the water.

Soap is also a surfactant, helping to break up the surface tension and causing the water not to bead. That means that the water is able to cover the entire surface, allowing more uniform lubrication and a medium for the abraded steel (versus the swarf just getting embedded in the surface of the hone, making the hone slower). If you use a diamond plate dry, you'll notice that it'll become blacker (because of the steel swarf) and slower (because the swarf build-up hides and inhibits the action of the diamonds).

Soap is also a surfactant, helping to break up the surface tension and causing the water not to bead. That means that the water is able to cover the entire surface, allowing more uniform lubrication and a medium for the abraded steel (versus the swarf just getting embedded in the surface of the hone, making the hone slower). If you use a diamond plate dry, you'll notice that it'll become blacker (because of the steel swarf) and slower (because the swarf build-up hides and inhibits the action of the diamonds).

Makes sense!

Top Bottom