What's new

Honing Series: Coticule & Japanese Natural

I don't really understand why anyone would want a prefinishing stone. Wouldn't it be easier to just use different nagura (botan, meijiro/tenjo, koma, tomonagura)? Does a prefinishing stone make the process easier somehow?

A softer stone cut faster.
It is more suited for harder steel.
You can see the difference if you have a wa-kamisori which have a steel greater than HRC64.
BTW if you have a knife or razor with HRC greater than 64 you can scratch soda lime glass (wine bottle or beer bottle) with it at the heel edge.
(But do it with little force otherwise you will chip the blade.)

To see if the stone is lapped fine its very easy.
Just look at a light source at a very low degree. if the dry stone surface is like mirror its fine, if its dull its to coarse.
If you use TV as lightsource you can see by distortion if the stone is flat or have low spots.

I have a Belgian yellow coticule with slate on the other side, looks like yours in the video. Do you use this w/ H2o or dry. Is it as fine as a Spyderco ceramic ultra fine? I thought it was rated at 8K -JIS. Thanks, Possum

I have a Belgian yellow coticule with slate on the other side, looks like yours in the video. Do you use this w/ H2o or dry. Is it as fine as a Spyderco ceramic ultra fine? I thought it was rated at 8K -JIS. Thanks, Possum

Coticule use is with water. As far as a comparison to a UF it will depend on what coticule you have since they vary because of them being natural and no real grit rating.

I'm guessing one of the trolls gave the usual comments, "this is stuuupid" or "you don't know what you're doing" or "this is all wrong, you need to do it my way". Anyone who has ever posted a YT vid knows this guy.

Top Bottom