What's new

Honing help in Quebec Canada

Hello. I'm in Montreal and I tried my hand at honing with a double sided Norton stone and I never got it to anything decent and created a smile on the edge. I'll eventually whip out the ole hone but right now my blade is not shave capable and I'm looking for someone to reset the blade so I can once again shave with it.

I remember having a look at the honemeister list and found there was no names in Canada. Is there a reputable service I could use or is there a B&B user that would be willing to reset the edge and make it useable once more?

Thank you.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hello. I'm in Montreal and I tried my hand at honing with a double sided Norton stone and I never got it to anything decent and created a smile on the edge. I'll eventually whip out the ole hone but right now my blade is not shave capable and I'm looking for someone to reset the blade so I can once again shave with it.

I remember having a look at the honemeister list and found there was no names in Canada. Is there a reputable service I could use or is there a B&B user that would be willing to reset the edge and make it useable once more?

Thank you.
Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade, or "The Method".

If you are already experienced at shaving with a straight razor, then this thread and all sub threads will be all you need to create a better than professional edge on a razor. If you are not yet experienced at straight shaving, I suggest most vigorously that you first, however you have to do it, learn to shave with a shave ready razor FIRST, before trying to hone your own razors.

There is no easier way to create such an edge. There is no cheaper way to create such an edge. In fact, there seems to be no other way to create such an edge at all. The main thing is that learning to hone takes time. Just DOING it doesn't take long at all, even if you are following along in a list of extremely detailed instructions. Nearly all noobs who genuinely try to follow The Method, and absolutely do not deviate from it in the slightest, achieve a crazy edge on the first or at least the second attempt. The Method works because there is no judgement needed. There is no subjectivity, no artistry, no mojo or voodoo or zen or becoming one with the blade. It is like painting a paint-by-numbers work of art. You don't have to be an artist or know how to paint, only how to read the instructions and the numbers in the spaces, and stay inside the lines. No skill. No training. Just do. That's how The Method works. And that's the ONLY way it works. It won't work if you assume that some little detail isn't important or doesn't matter or you just can't be bothered.

But if you are not yet an experienced straight shaver, you need to learn to shave first. If you don't believe me, sorry I can't help you, and you won't believe half of the stuff in The Method, anyway. But back to the shave ready razor. About a kabillion fleabay sellers promise that their razor is shave ready. Guess how many are. Almost NONE. The only exceptions that you can trust are sellers who are known and respected members of this forum or another forum, or someone recommended by multiple forum members. Reputations are at stake, not your $40 or whatever. Also you might check the BST forum regularly, like multiple times a day. The good deals don't last. They get snapped up quick. But if a forum member says his razor is shave ready, it will shave.

Newbie Honing Compendium | Badger & Blade, or "The Method".

If you are already experienced at shaving with a straight razor, then this thread and all sub threads will be all you need to create a better than professional edge on a razor. If you are not yet experienced at straight shaving, I suggest most vigorously that you first, however you have to do it, learn to shave with a shave ready razor FIRST, before trying to hone your own razors.

There is no easier way to create such an edge. There is no cheaper way to create such an edge. In fact, there seems to be no other way to create such an edge at all. The main thing is that learning to hone takes time. Just DOING it doesn't take long at all, even if you are following along in a list of extremely detailed instructions. Nearly all noobs who genuinely try to follow The Method, and absolutely do not deviate from it in the slightest, achieve a crazy edge on the first or at least the second attempt. The Method works because there is no judgement needed. There is no subjectivity, no artistry, no mojo or voodoo or zen or becoming one with the blade. It is like painting a paint-by-numbers work of art. You don't have to be an artist or know how to paint, only how to read the instructions and the numbers in the spaces, and stay inside the lines. No skill. No training. Just do. That's how The Method works. And that's the ONLY way it works. It won't work if you assume that some little detail isn't important or doesn't matter or you just can't be bothered.

But if you are not yet an experienced straight shaver, you need to learn to shave first. If you don't believe me, sorry I can't help you, and you won't believe half of the stuff in The Method, anyway. But back to the shave ready razor. About a kabillion fleabay sellers promise that their razor is shave ready. Guess how many are. Almost NONE. The only exceptions that you can trust are sellers who are known and respected members of this forum or another forum, or someone recommended by multiple forum members. Reputations are at stake, not your $40 or whatever. Also you might check the BST forum regularly, like multiple times a day. The good deals don't last. They get snapped up quick. But if a forum member says his razor is shave ready, it will shave.

I appreciate your faith in humanity but I watched many a video with the honing guru whose name I dont recall and I did the whole process: ordered a double sided Norton, tried the electrical, bought some sandpaper and a tile to try and lap the stone level and the end result was a razor sharp as a butter knife with a considerable smile (uneven bevel).

i consider myself pretty handy. I’ve sharpened axes and bush knives but I think either I’m just a terrible razor sharpener or my stone needs even more lapping. I’ll look at the ressource you posted but really right now I just want a razor that works because it’s just been sitting in my pharmacy doing nothing

The lowest grit I have is 4000. Is that too fine for setting a bevel? Is it a fools errand to even try?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The lowest grit I have is 4000. Is that too fine for setting a bevel? Is it a fools errand to even try?
It's not too fine but may take a lot of work. I suggest that you get a 1k for bevel setting. For my bevel setting, I use a 1k for most of the work and finish setting the bevel on a 3k. Then I generally go to lapping films and finish on diamond pasted balsa strops, a.k.a. the B&B Method.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You are very likely to fall into the "that bevel has GOT to be set by now" trap, because it will take so long. A 1k Chosera isn't all THAT expensive, and it is good for your knives, too.

Pretty much everything and anything has been tried already, and if nobody is doing it, generally it is because it just doesn't work very well or isn't practical.

I'm in Ottawa but have to go down to Montreal the weekend of April 23rd, to move my son back home from an apartment near Sherbrooke and University. I've refinished over 200 straights over the years and could bring my stones and strops if you can drop by the apartment. Alternatively, there is a fellow in Longueuil who refinishes razors and sells strops. I think his contact information is on his website ( SHOP | Ale Razors - https://shave-ready.wixsite.com/rasoirs-anciens/shop )

Top Bottom