What's new

Honing/fixing a bent blade (not warped)

I am sorry for the confusion. English is not my first language. When i say bent, i do mean there is a curvature in the blade from manufacturing. The blade in question was honed just fine, but i guess when someone starts to talk about open flames and stuff to affect the geometry of a blade, then i guess i got a little exited😀 My engineering mid started spinning. To much time to think (overthink). It is not always about finding the best solution, but to figure out a different solutions.

It's always a good thing to have more "tools" in the toolbox.... Knowing which ones are best to use in specific situations comes with time and experience. And there are absolutely times when the best solution/tool for one fellow may not be the best solution for another.

Reactions: JPO
Another way to straighten tempered steel is to clamp it straight, or a bit past, and do another temper cycle of 400º F for an hour. This can be done as many times as needed without softening the original temper to any degree. This can be done in your kitchen oven, but it's a good idea to calibrate the temperature with an oven thermometer.

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom