What's new

Honing after every shave. Anyone else doing this?

After each shave, if it is not sharp, I optimize it. If I am satisfied with the shave effect, I just walk a few laps on the leather. It's that simple.

Honing before every shave for most people would be, I assume, to avoid the boiling frog effect.
I know this post is sort of old but this is a great point. Sometimes I'll get bored and want to touch up my razor for fun/practice, and I won't realize that the edge actually needed it until I shave with the touched up edge. You really don't notice the subtle degradation (at least I don't). I generally try to stay ahead of the curve so to speak.

I’ve coincidentally been doing this over the past couple of weeks with a 6x1 escher. About 25 laps prior to a shave then a stropping. It feels pretty good tbh.

This morning i was thinking about when i use plain water or soapy water and it occurred to me to maybe consider a dry lubricant like graphite and came on to ask if anyone has any experience or thoughts about that and found this thread.

given the low level of abrasives in ink on newspaper, i thought maybe graphite would further lessen the wear when used.

gonna give it a try but not sure i have the mag to see any effects.

I’ve coincidentally been doing this over the past couple of weeks with a 6x1 escher. About 25 laps prior to a shave then a stropping. It feels pretty good tbh.

This morning i was thinking about when i use plain water or soapy water and it occurred to me to maybe consider a dry lubricant like graphite and came on to ask if anyone has any experience or thoughts about that and found this thread.

given the low level of abrasives in ink on newspaper, i thought maybe graphite would further lessen the wear when used.

Greetings, is your 25 laps water only on escher?
Thx

Thx as learning to use my escher, black molted, 5.8 x 1.3
Some far only used water
May try add little soap
Thx for tip

Do you raise slurry?

I did not raise slurry. However it is convexed. I only used soapy water to lower the contact. I dont see much wear on the stone or spine.

but let me be honest. I dont known if it’s worth it, but i have plenty of steel and plenty of hones, but it has been improving the feel nicely on various lengths of stubble from one day to 5 days or so.

I think i finished the surface with slurry stone iirc.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod

You could try graphite but it wouldn't surprise me if it clogged up the stone too much.

Top Bottom