What's new

Honing a wood working tool

Legion

Staff member
When she came after us last time I drew on her and she froze in her tracks, not another step forward but you could tell she wanted to buy she knows what guns are. She was standing about 5 yards from a 500 pound propane tank but in no fool. She may end up with a xylitol steak to keep the county away. If I shoot her I'll let the sheriff's department deal with the owners, deputies won't give me any trouble. In Texas a purple spot painted on a fence post is the same as a "no trespassing" sign and every other post i have is painted purple. Once the leaves fall and I've got a visual at a distance it won't matter.
I've not met a dog I couldn't make friends with a packet of cheap sausages.

My favorite draw knife is a plain Jane straight blade Greenlee. Nothing fancy, no folding or adjustable handles or any of that, but it is slightly hollow ground front and back. That makes sharpening a breeze in comparison to all the others I have tried.
I want one that's 100 years old. I bet it won't be too fancy either, but I like that old steel.

For woodturning since you're mostly doing cross grain work a Washita or soft Ark is good. I sharpen on a Washita for probably 98% of woodworking. If I've got something thats hard or difficult grain I'll use a hard Ark or Belgian hone.

For woodturning since you're mostly doing cross grain work a Washita or soft Ark is good. I sharpen on a Washita for probably 98% of woodworking. If I've got something thats hard or difficult grain I'll use a hard Ark or Belgian hone.
I don't turn wood but those are probably the stones I used the most for wood working tools. Pyrenees stones are good too.

So after a week of work, vacation is over and I’m packing away the tools for a few months. I will say that I got really good at sharpening the skew chisel and was getting really good results with that. I eventually got the hang of the parting tools, it turned out that the issues I was having were due more to poor technique than how sharp (or not) the tools were. After a few YouTube videos I had most of the bugs worked out.

A few items from the week below. The biggest embarrassment of the week was making a box for my newly acquired coticule that ended up being a 1/4” too short! So I made another box. I guess I’m now on the lookout for a 4.5x2 inch whetstone 😂。 But nearly all wet shaving related. Two boxes for whetstones, and 2 handles for shaving brushes. Also made a file handle (not shown).
9941CE60-BBA4-43E6-873F-F1AF25631E2A.jpeg

Top Bottom