What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Honing a Rolls Blade

I was reminded by a recent post about my Rolls Razor. I figured it would be best to have the blades re-honed before my first use. Anybody out there familiar with honing a Rolls blade by hand or can recommend someone?

I got a rolls and I honed mine. I hit it with a 3k an an 8k then stroped but I built up the spine with 2 layers of tape and my blades had been honed flate at the heel and they came out good enough to shave with u just need to get past the chips an Knicks on the edge. Yes there’s still some spots on the blade but I’m not fussed I disinfected it with rajkia (grappa or plum brandy) at like 70% an then I boiled them for 5 mins but do it as you would a straight. Not as sharp as I’d like but I don’t have higher grade stones

Attachments

Last edited:
I got a rolls and I honed mine. I hit it with a 3k an an 8k then stroped but I built up the spine with 2 layers of tape and my blades had been honed flate at the heel and they came out good enough to shave with u just need to get past the chips an Knicks on the edge. Yes there’s still some spots on the blade but I’m not fussed I disinfected it with rajkia (grappa or plum brandy) at like 70% an then I boiled them for 5 mins but do it as you would a straight. Not as sharp as I’d like but I don’t have higher grade stones

From what I see here the wear looks normal

From what I see here the wear looks normal
I did re hone both blades last night, an lapped one of the stones. I honed and then case honed it came out quite nice, I was suprised that I could Lapp the case hone I wasn’t sure if it would fall to bits using water on a synth stone but it worked out well. I can post the pics I will when I get home.

Good, and yes you can lap case hone, but it won't get many cause it's thin, and you can use new leather with our without chrom ox