What's new

Honemeister: Prague - Bratislava

Hello,

I am located in Slovakia, near Košice. I have a straight razor which I had honed by a local guy, but the edge is terrible, doesn't shave smooth, leaves me with lots of irritation and cuts. I use a shavette so I have some idea of how an SR should perform, my shavette gives me great shaves with a Feather blade.

I would like to get my SR honed in Slovakia/Czech Republic. I study in Kosice and I will start as an intern in Prague soon, so it would be the best for me if a honemeister would be located somwehere Near those towns.

If you are in SK/CZ and can hone a straight, please let me know. If you know someone else who Can do it Near you, please let me know as Well.

Thank you very much in advance, have a Nice day.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm not sure what postage rates are like within the EU but you might get a better selection if you include a few other countries.

I doubt if you will get a SR edge up to the keenness of a Feather DE blade. It is possible, I have been occasionally lucky enough to get there using diamond pasted balsa strops. Most honemeisters don't go to that level.

SR edges can get close to a Feather DE edge.

Last edited:
We have at least one member who is from the Czech Republic.
Moving to Prague? Lucky man, I love that city.
Lucky as hell, great career opportunity, 45 minutes from Prague actually, but I may end up living in the town. Looking forward to it, never been in Prague before.

I'm not sure what postage rates are like within the EU but you might get a better selection if you include a few other countries.

I doubt if you will get a SR edge up to the keenness of a Feather DE blade. It is possible, I have been occasionally lucky enough to get there using diamond pasted balsa strops. Most honemeisters don't go to that level.

SR edges can get close to a Feather DE edge.
Of course I don't expect perfect sharpness, even though sometines even the Feather in a aggressive safety razor has trouble.

But my current blade doesn't go through the beard, it keeps getting stuck, it tugs so much, even with very thin watery slick lather. I end up pressing on it and therefore the shave is not enjoyable at all. And I can't really keep going around with cuts.

Live in the Netherlands if you like postage I will hone it if you like, just let me know if you want that, please can you post a picture that way we know how the razor is

Here are some pictures of the razor.
IMG_20220307_144433.jpg

IMG_20220307_115610.jpg

Live in the Netherlands if you like postage I will hone it if you like, just let me know if you want that, please can you post a picture that way we know how the razor is
Thank you, I will check the postage to Netherlands and let you know.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
With the nominal bevel angle of your Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 (pictured above), do not expect it to cut whiskers as easily as a shavette with a good blade. The T.H.60's bevel angle makes it rather forgiving, meaning it does not draw blood as readily when there are mistakes in technique.

With a good edge, the Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 can shave as well as or even a little better than others with the same bevel angle.

With the nominal bevel angle of your Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 (pictured above), do not expect it to cut whiskers as easily as a shavette with a good blade. The T.H.60's bevel angle makes it rather forgiving, meaning it does not draw blood as readily when there are mistakes in technique.

With a good edge, the Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 can shave as well as or even a little better than others with the same bevel angle.
I only expect it to shave without dragging and tugging. My shaves with it ended up being terrible, while the ones with a shavette Near perfect. Even though there was a very sharp DE blade in the shavette and I know the Titan won't get as sharp, I'm certain the Titan's edge is not good. It doesn't take any hair off of my forearm. I have to use more angle and I have to Press Down on it in order to remove my beard. That results in very uncomfortable shave and puts me in the place when correct technique doesn't work at All.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here is a photo of one of my Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 edges. Different lighting makes it difficult but you may be able to see the difference in the bevel finishing.

My bevels are finished on a diamond pasted balsa strop progression. That gives a flat mirror finish. Your bevel appears to be rather rougher and not flat.

IMG_20220320_064454.jpg
Later, with better lighting, I will try and post a clearer picture.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Slash McCoy also has some experience in honing Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SR's. Perhaps he might be able to give you his opinion on the bevel/edge on yours.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@TheBeast here are some pics of the edge of the Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 that I shaved with this morning. These pics were taken after my shave and after wiping dry with toilet paper, 6 to 10 laps on a clean fine denim strop and my normal maintenance on 0.1µm hanging diamond pasted balsa strop.

DSCF0518.JPG

DSCF0519.JPG

DSCF0532.JPG

DSCF0538.JPG

DSCF0543.JPG
My photographic skills are not as good as yours but I hope you get the idea.

The above is not my best honed SR edge. That honour goes to my Gold Dollar W59.

IMG_20211223_165339.jpg

Last edited:
@TheBeast here are some pics of the edge of the Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 that I shaved with this morning. These pics were taken after my shave and after wiping dry with toilet paper, 6 to 10 laps on a clean fine denim strop and my normal maintenance on 0.1µm hanging diamond pasted balsa strop.

My photographic skills are not as good as yours but I hope you get the idea.

The above is not my best honed SR edge. That honour goes to my Gold Dollar W59.

It's really hard to judge the edge from the pictures. I only ever honed kitchen knives on a cheap chinese whetstone of unknown grit. I got some paper cutting action and that's about it for my experience. That's why I'm searching for someone who knows what he's doing.

Top Bottom