What's new

Honemeister for ZY430+?

Can anyone recommend a honemeister for a ZY430+? I have one that needs honing, and my attempts at using films were not complete successes.

I just honed a ZY and a vintage blade I'm restoring, and tried to use the vintage blade this evening. I got one pass in, but there was a lot of tugging (and some weepers afterwards). Since I'm learning to use a straight (tonight was my first attempt), I think I need to follow the universal advice and make sure my blades are truly shave ready.

I could (and might) ask Jarrod at the superior shave to home my vintage blade, but not the ZY. Anyone know who hones Chinese blades?

Thanks for all of the advice you've given me so far. One pass into using straights, and I'm hooked!

Then and again (just thinking out loud here), I might get a coti from TSS, ask Jarrod to hone my vintage razor, and use my ZY430 to learn using a coti on. Hmmm...

I had a coti from TSS a few months ago, but had to get rid of it because of a cross country move (never having had a chance to use it). I have been regretting selling it lately, as the blade I've been restoring has gotten closer and closer to finished.

Well, for what it's worth (in case anyone is following this):

After exchanging a few emails with Jarrod from The Superior Shave, I decided to keep my current razors as honing projects and to buy a stainless steel half-hollow Dovo from him (alongside a 60x115mm coticule). This way, I can start shaving with a razor I know to be perfectly sharp and continue restoring and modifying razors for the fun of it (but having a clear target for my honing efforts).

The razor should be here in the next couple of days... Can't wait to shave with it! :straight:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Good deal. I've never shaved with one of his edges but everyone says they're top notch.

I have two ZY's I practice on all the time, they serve a purpose as it's better to ruin a $7 razor instead of say a $200 Revisor or similar.

Good call, I wish I had gone with 60x115 instead of 40x150.
Yeah, I was leaning towards the 40x150, but Jarrod said that he prefers a 60x115 over it. For $70, it seems like a good deal!

I ended up buying one unlapped, but I have tons of sandpaper and a 12x12" granite tile, so lapping it should be simple enough.
I've done a bit of reading, and it looks like there's no need to lap any finer than 600 grit or so.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Lapping to 600 on W/D will be fine. After you slurry it a few times you should be good to go.

Some cotis (mine in particular) like being lapped higher (I go to 2000) but really any will work with 600 as long as you give it a good rub with the slurry stone. I actually use 320 or 400 for the initial lapping and it works fine after that, though feels much nicer after following with 1-2k. For other stones 2k would do nothing, apparently. This is one place where cotis really vary.

Interesting. I'll take it higher than 600, then, just in case. I think I have a few 1200 sheets, so I'll take it at least that high.

If you still need someone, I'm available. I have a few guys who can vouche for me. I won't even charge :)
That's very kind, and much appreciated. As it turns out, I'm getting quite usable edges from lapping film on my vintage razor, and I bought a Dovo from The Superior Shave, so I have a couple of good razors to shave with. At the moment I've relegated the zy to coticule practice, and I'm anxious to get that right. I've just spent the better part of an hour on the coticule with water and dish soap (after having taken the razor to 1 micron film), so have got hopes for tomorrow. We'll see, though!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom