What's new

Hone identification

I don't remember when I originally bought this 4-sided paddle strop & stone. I'm assuming that the stone is slate? Can it/should it be lapped with a Norton flattening stone? Approximate grit range?
24D6EB08-7B86-4FC3-A9D3-333670F6E065.jpeg

C5B5EA06-5FE9-4BC2-9E42-CC76EE788B26.jpeg

Last edited:
Slate, yes. I've had a number of them. The stone varies quite a bit. I don't think they cared much about consistency on them since they were typically on 4 sided paddles, so you'd be following the slate with 3 levels of pastes.

Slate, yes. I've had a number of them. The stone varies quite a bit. I don't think they cared much about consistency on them since they were typically on 4 sided paddles, so you'd be following the slate with 3 levels of pastes.

Iirc, the paste was so dry that it felt like different colored leather instead of paste. I'm tempted to buy, re-apply, the past and use it. I was worried about lapping the slate and damaging it; I'd love to use it.

They're thin and very soft, shouldn't take much to lap flat. If you're really worried about the leather, may be able to slip a razor blade under the stone and slice it loose then lap and reattach.

Is there anyone on this webpage that can help identify this honing stone?

Attachments

• Yucatan Honing Stone.JPG
    Yucatan Honing Stone.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Yucatan Sharpening Stone 2.JPG
    Yucatan Sharpening Stone 2.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Yucatan Sharpening Stone 3.JPG
    Yucatan Sharpening Stone 3.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • Yucatan Sharpening Stone.JPG
    Yucatan Sharpening Stone.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
It's against the rules to price-check things.

It's a barber's synthetic by American Hone Co. They're generally low in value with a few notable exceptions (Frictionite 00, Norton Razor Hone, Lakeside, Panama) that are either desirable to competitive lumberjacks (Norton, Frictionite) or have an unusually high reputation with other sharpening communities (Lakeside, Panama).

Top Bottom