What's new

Hone Identification

I received this hone today but unsure as to what it might be. I believe it was attached previously to a coti...

Is this a BBS, Rouge Salm or something else?
6C8690C0-32B2-4518-A3B4-772A99BEAFC6.jpeg

40F6875B-6AF3-4538-BD92-5B0A55151F3C.jpeg

Thank you sir. I only now see my BBS mistake.

The stone seems very, very hard, is this the case with them? Slowish??

I know that i will have to spend many hours to understand its characteristics, but how are they typically used? Dry, slurry, wet, running water etc. I assume pressure will play a big role in how quick or fine it will cut?

Legion

Staff member
Give it a try, but generally the blue stone that was attached to the back of coticule was not intended to be used for honing. The stone that we know as BBW is from the blue stone right next to a coti vein. That way it is more likely to have the garnets needed to work.

In the old days they just backed the coti with blue stone from wherever in the quarry, like they use slate today. It may work, but it might not.

But basically, if you want to try it out, they are used in pretty much the same way as coticules. With slurry for faster cutting, and just water for a fine finish.

The BBW should work fine and many do use it.
Mine works pretty good and leaves a nice edge to move to finisher. I cannot shave off it comfortably but it is a very well structured edge. I rarely use slurry with anything. Just use it like the Coti side - if you want it to work faster then slurry I suppose.
IMO some Coti's when used with slurry degrade the edge to a point where when used with water afterwards it could take hundreds of strokes to "fix" the damage. I normally take the edge to near finish then use the Coti with water. This is entirely stone dependent of course.
IMO the black slate now used is not for honing at all.

Generally the Blues are slower and less refined. However as @stone and strop says they can be easier to build an edge. Somewhere between the flexibility of a coticule and the consistency of a slate. They can be more fun to use and can produce more consistent results. Depends on each stone.

I have a couple I have shaved off but generally I would use them in a progression prior to a finisher. YMMV

Most that are usable are super slow. If you have a little coti slurry bout then use that to raise a slurry and you will probably like the result better.

Top Bottom