What's new

Homemade Sloppy Joes

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Gentlemen, how do you make your homemade sloppy joes? This time of year, I am always in the mood for one...or three.

My dad used to make some great homemade sloppy joes. Wish I had pop's recipe. A lot of that stuff didn't survive the move from California to Tennessee.

Here is mine:

1 lb ground chuck
1 can tomato soup
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp onion and bell pepper flakes
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Dash of cayenne pepper
Black pepper to taste

Brown meat, add rest and simmer on low until slightly thickened. Kids and wife approved! Enjoy!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This brings back a lot of memories. Food memories are a powerful thing. I can’t remember the last time I ate a sloppy Joe. Maybe 30 years ago. My mother used to make them all the time back in the 70s. We didn’t have a lot of money but she made a really good Joe with what she had…Thanks mom…miss you.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
This brings back a lot of memories. Food memories are a powerful thing. I can’t remember the last time I ate a sloppy Joe. Maybe 30 years ago. My mother used to make them all the time back in the 70s. We didn’t have a lot of money but she made a really good Joe with what she had…Thanks mom…miss you.
Agree, sir. Lost my dad to a heart attack in October of 2007. We didn't get to see a lot of each other in those final years. Hanging out with dad in the kitchen was a big deal to me growing up. Spending time in the backyard watching him grill was also fun.

We have gone through a lot of homemade recipes and tweaks over the years.

This is the recipe we have settled on and pass along when people ask.

Start with the recipe and adjust as necessary, like omitting the brown sugar or adding hot sauce etc.

We always toast the buns, then add cheese, hot sloppy joe on top to melt the cheese and eat open faced.

It's a good base.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We have gone through a lot of homemade recipes and tweaks over the years.

This is the recipe we have settled on and pass along when people ask.

Start with the recipe and adjust as necessary, like omitting the brown sugar or adding hot sauce etc.

We always toast the buns, then add cheese, hot sloppy joe on top to melt the cheese and eat open faced.

It's a good base.

Toasting the bun and adding cheddar is a must.

Gentlemen, how do you make your homemade sloppy joes? This time of year, I am always in the mood for one...or three.

My dad used to make some great homemade sloppy joes. Wish I had pop's recipe. A lot of that stuff didn't survive the move from California to Tennessee.

Same here. Mom used some magical concoction of ketchup, Open Pit bbq sauce, onion, and other now-unknown-to-me ingredients. I never got her recipe, but it was delicious.

Though it may have also been an "acquired taste" that I remember fondly from childhood.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I use leftover meat sauce for pasta (soffrito made in olive oil, minced garlic, browned ground beef, a few hand crushed San Marzanos, a splash of white wine, oregano, peperoncino, and black pepper, sometimes a splash of cream) with a bit of ketchup mixed in.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
How do I make them?

Heh.

I don't. :)

I prefer Tortas Ahogadas -- the "Drowned Sandwich". A nice big bun, toasted natch. Slow roasted pork shoulder, pulled. Sauce made with lots of Arbol chilis. I hear in Oaxaca you're a real hombre if you can eat one in your hands, wearing a white shirt, and still be wearing a white shirt when you're done.

Me, sloppy eater that I am, I use a knife and fork.

It'll clear yer sinuses, that's for sure!

O.H.

Brief long short story while eating pork sandwiches in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico which is the habanero state I’m told… a vinegar, red onion, habanero, orange juice pico on an meat sandwich is heaven. I love a ground pork, tomatoe base with the above pico on a fresh baguette.
Even better to smoke a strong cigar while eating such a sando while enjoying a Mexican Coke. Does this qualify as a sloppy Joe? Idk, my kid in me misses the Mamwich sloppies from decades ago. Would it still be yummy without much beer today?

Top Bottom