What's new

Homemade shaving cream?

Go for it, Keith. While the time involved and the expense of sourcing bulk fats and scent oils might not ultimately make it too cost effective on a personal use scale, you'll never know until you try. Besides, it might become an enjoyable hobby and since when are those necessarily done from a cost saving perspective.

Hi from Iowa, Kieth! Hope it's not too much trouble to revive an old thread. But, I'm an Herbalist/ quasi-gardener (still trying to make my brown thumb green!). Anyway, I've been searching for what seems like years for any information and various formulas for making homemade shaving cream! I have some lavender growing; and, I'd like to infuse the leaves into an oil-base, as a gift this June for my brother [his birthday] and my dad [for fathers' day]. So, I would love to be kept up-to-date with regard to any of your research, if you don't mind...what worked/ what didn't. With a shaving cream, I should think that it ought to be moisturizing and "lubricating" (so the blade doesn't tear up the skin and irritate it). I, myself, only use an electric razor to shave--unlike my younger bro. (by 5 years) our dad didn't teach me how to shave. In fact, I wasn't allowed to shave for quite a while, even though I definately needed to (I was getting picked on at school for it), so a year later my dad just tossed me an electric razor. Ever since always felt a bit sad to have missed out on this RIte of Passage. Sorry for ranting a bit, but it's always beena sore spot with me. Anyhoo...I have tons of lavender that I wanmt to use in making the both of them a gift. Heck, if you have developed any base recipes, please let me know so I can try 'em out. Also, if you could tell me why each ingredient was added, that would be very helpful to me...it's how I learn, best. *G*

BTW, what sort of a container might such a handmade shaving cream be best contained it? Maybe a single lotion-bottle they can squeeze into their hands, or a soft-soap pump? Oy, I've been truying to learn how to make homemade shaving cream for YEARS, but haven't been able to find any information or formulas of any kind on-lline, or in any books on toiletries.

Take Care,
Wade

Wade, You can make your own oil from your homegrown lavender. Here is how:

Cut enough lavender stems to fill a stainless steel dutch oven with lid (or similar size pot).

Step #1 ~ Gently wash the lavender so you don't break off the flower buds, then allow to dry on paper towel. Once dry, cut the lavender (over the pot to catch broken off buds) in halfs or thirds so they will lay flat in the pot.

Buy about a quart of good oil such as sweet almond or avocado, pour this over the cut lavender.

Step #2 ~ Every few hours of the first day or two, push the lavender down into the oil using a potato masher or similar kitchen tool. After the lavender is submersed in the oil, stir it once per day for two weeks.

Af the end of two weeks, strain the oil from the lavender into another container, set aside.

Repeat Step #1 with new lavender into your pot, BUT cover the lavender with the oil you just strained off.

Repeat Step #2.

Do this process a minimum of four times. With each strain you will have less and less oil but it will keep increasing in scent.
Sue

Top Bottom