What's new

Homemade Shaving Brush Holder

Being snowed in the house for two days will lead to projects :biggrin1:

Built my own brush holder from a coat hanger.

proxy.php

I cobbled this together before the snow came... I used a 2" and 5" doll stand from Hobby Lobby and transplanted the gripper from the 2" into the 5". The smaller gripper holds the razor as-is, but I had to bend/straighten the 5" gripper to accommodate a brush. The base doesn't have much weight, so removing the brush before the razor can cause a tip. At first I just sat my bowl ($1.78 sauce bowl at Target) on the base, but now I've double-back taped it to the counter. I'm sure I'll eventually get a nicer stand, but this was fun to cobble together for roughly $2.50. The stand now houses a Shaving Factory DE and XS Boar brush... A much prettier sight than the Pro Glide and $2 synthetic brush.

proxy.php

What did you use to bend the hanger? I've thought about trying to copy one of the aceshave eBay stands, but I'm not confident I can make precise and symmetric bends and get the base to sit flat.

Here's my brush/razor stand inspired by the OP's. I'm trying to come up with something to coat either the hanging portions or possibly the whole thing, like Dip Grip used for tool handles... but it doesn't make much sense to spend $10 on a jar of the Dip Grip when I can get a nice chrome version for $13 on eBay.

proxy.php

I don't want to feel left out in showing off homemade shaving stands, so here is one I built.
I had some scrap wood laying around, a little stain, a couple coats of poly and here she is.
I slapped this together one afternoon, not counting drying time for the stain and poly.
It may not be pretty, but it is functional. Now if only I had some proper tools. :tongue_sm
proxy.php

I don't want to feel left out in showing off homemade shaving stands, so here is one I built.
I had some scrap wood laying around, a little stain, a couple coats of poly and here she is.
I slapped this together one afternoon, not counting drying time for the stain and poly.
It may not be pretty, but it is functional. Now if only I had some proper tools. :tongue_sm
proxy.php

That's pretty nice. A few hand tools and some care produce very good items.

Phil

Those look like quite proper tools to me . . . nice project housing essential razors!

For coating the hanger wire to protect the razor and brush, I used electrical shrink tubing. I think the 1/8th size would work fine, maybe the 3/16th. Radio Shack sells a selection in a bag for a couple bucks, if there is a Harbor Freight near you, they have rolls of it in a bunch of different sizes.

I made a rack for my fatboy, doubled the "fingers" that hold it, wanted to protect it and had some of that from wiring the Harley, it works great. It is in a cupboard, so it might not be pretty, but who cares?
Hope this helps,

I actually tried heat shrink tubing... 1/4" was the smallest I could get to make the 90 degree turns and over the double-bent end tips, but it wouldn't shrink enough... I think I have 2:1 tubing, but even 3:1 probably wouldn't shrink tight enough.

If I can't find a friend that has any Dip Grip (I've asked around with no luck yet), I'll probably call it a day on this particular DIY stand... I'm not going to pay $10 for a can of Dip Grip when I can get a nice chrome stand in a very similar design for $13 shipped on eBay. It was, however, a fun diversion for an hour or so on a snow day.

Top Bottom