What's new

Homemade Pepper sauce

I do my own sauces all the time. Have used all sorts of peppers some hot and some very hot!. I do boil them and use some vinegar at the end. For the most: it's an interesting ride, some are good , some not so good. But mostly a good experience. I grow some peppers, but lately between lizards, birds and rodents....I quit doing so....

I do my own sauces all the time. Have used all sorts of peppers some hot and some very hot!. I do boil them and use some vinegar at the end. For the most: it's an interesting ride, some are good , some not so good. But mostly a good experience. I grow some peppers, but lately between lizards, birds and rodents....I quit doing so....
I have made my own hot sauces and it is definitely worthwhile. This pepper sauce being discussed here is a specific kind of thing, though. It is as much a spiced vinegar as a true hot sauce. I personally do not think you need to boil.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right. Got bottles and white wine vinegar today ... Green Datil peppers have got the purple stripe ... Time for first bottling!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Datil Peppa Vinegar is now a thing!

full

The purple indicates capsicum viciousness is at a good level ...

full

AA

it should continue to get hotter though, right?

Yep. If not you might want to try slicing up or even chopping up the peppers. If I recall, Datil's have some Scoville units.

I put some sliced up, de-seeded Jalapenos into some nice organic apple cider. So far the vinegar is not nearly as hot as I remember as a kid. Has some flavor, but not enough, at least not yet. I should have tasted the peppers before putting them in. They may be rather mild.

I do not know what type of hot pepper my parents used. They were something they grew themselves. And I hope I am remembering correctly that they just put slices of peppers in room temperature vinegar without heating it or anything. I suppose I do not see a big downside to heating the vingar, at least to some extent.

The Tropical Pepper Company Red Pickled Tabasco Peppers I mentioned above, just calls for adding more vinegar. Nothing about heating it. This is consistent with Texlaw's formula.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yep. If not you might want to try slicing up or even chopping up the peppers. If I recall, Datil's have some Scoville units.

I put some sliced up, de-seeded Jalapenos into some nice organic apple cider. So far the vinegar is not nearly as hot as I remember as a kid. Has some flavor, but not enough, at least not yet. I should have tasted the peppers before putting them in. They may be rather mild.

I do not know what type of hot pepper my parents used. They were something they grew themselves. And I hope I am remembering correctly that they just put slices of peppers in room temperature vinegar without heating it or anything. I suppose I do not see a big downside to heating the vingar, at least to some extent.

The Tropical Pepper Company Red Pickled Tabasco Peppers I mentioned above, just calls for adding more vinegar. Nothing about heating it. This is consistent with Texlaw's formula.

I used white wine vinegar, heated it to just below boiling.

Peppers all have a slice up the side. They are much hotter than jalapenos!

The sweetness came through. Glad I did not add sugar, garlic or salt - just tasting this unusual pepper.

AA

Makes sense, AA. Datil's should have some punch.

I gave up on the jalapenos developing enough heat to satisfy me and mixed in some commercial habanero hot sauce I was not using because it seemed kind of overwhelming. The result is nicely complex, but still kind of overwhelming. I suppose one thing to consider about this is whether the end result is intended to be a vinegar dressing for greens and the like, or more a true hot sauce. I think I intend to have it as a rather versatile hot sauce.

I wish I could figure out what kind of peppers we used when I was a kid. I suspect my taste for and tolerance of spicy foods has grown over time. But I also suspect whatever we were using was fairly hot.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Makes sense, AA. Datil's should have some punch.

I gave up on the jalapenos developing enough heat to satisfy me and mixed in some commercial habanero hot sauce I was not using because it seemed kind of overwhelming. The result is nicely complex, but still kind of overwhelming. I suppose one thing to consider about this is whether the end result is intended to be a vinegar dressing for greens and the like, or more a true hot sauce. I think I intend to have it as a rather versatile hot sauce.

I wish I could figure out what kind of peppers we used when I was a kid. I suspect my taste for and tolerance of spicy foods has grown over time. But I also suspect whatever we were using was fairly hot.

With all these plants, I should be able to do a lot of experimenting - dehydrate in dryer, grind to powder; make a sweet/tomato-based sauce; salsa; weaponize against bears and coyotes, etc.

Hard part is waiting! Got green peppers. Got green with purple stripe growing ... want those beauty yellow peppers! Must leave them alone!

And if I see red peppers, it likely means the seed stock isn't pure, or got crossed with some common habanero or jalapeno. Datils aren't red! Orange yellow.

AA

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Growing up always had apple cider vinegar in which fresh hot peppers were steeped as a dressing for hot greens. Wonderful stuff. Definitely Southern.

I'm a big fan of ACV, but hadn't thought to steep stuff in it ... normally just drink it with some lime juice and lots of water.

I'm curious, thought, about this idea of steeping the ACV to make a spicy condiment. Without wanting some uber-spicy head-exploder ... more like a watery tabasco sauce at worst ... what should I do to get started?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm a big fan of ACV, but hadn't thought to steep stuff in it ... normally just drink it with some lime juice and lots of water.

I'm curious, thought, about this idea of steeping the ACV to make a spicy condiment. Without wanting some uber-spicy head-exploder ... more like a watery tabasco sauce at worst ... what should I do to get started?

I found this a good read, especially the comments:

Simple, though. Hot (not boiled) white wine vinegar, fresh clean peppers, each slit on the side, and a bottle from the dollar store.

AA

Great read especially the comments. Thanks, AA!

more like a watery tabasco sauce at worst

Yea, something like that. I think I said before that to me this is as much a vinegar sauce as a hot sauce. I am not sure why the emphasis on white vinegar. We always used ACV. It certainly add taste notes that are all good to my palate.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yea, something like that. I think I said before that to me this is as much a vinegar sauce as a hot sauce. I am not sure why the emphasis on white vinegar. We always used ACV. It certainly add taste notes that are all good to my palate.

I am a big fan of ACV now that I start to understand all the health benefits of taking it on a regular basis. Certainly, there's more flavour there too. I'll get some peppers and see what happens when I just let them steep together.

I'll get some peppers and see what happens when I just let them steep together.
I wish I could tell you what kind to get and whether to put them in whole or chopped, or whatever!

I am a big fan of ACV now that I start to understand all the health benefits of taking it on a regular basis.
Interesting. You should elaborate on that some time, including personal experience. I am a fan of fermented/brined, etc. stuff anyway. More for flavor than health benefits, but I highly suspect such things are good for one! Again, why would I use white distilled vinegar when far more interesting things are available?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I wish I could tell you what kind to get and whether to put them in whole or chopped, or whatever!

I'll experiment and see how it goes!

Interesting. You should elaborate on that some time, including personal experience.

Starting point:

I am a fan of fermented/brined, etc. stuff anyway. More for flavor than health benefits, but I highly suspect such things are good for one!

IIRC, the fermented stuff helps with the prebiotic/probiotic stuff to keep the "good bacteria" in the intestines healthy. I focus on kimchi and pickled asparagus.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I should probably post...

I found, not too long ago, a small family-owned farm in Ontario that grow their own peppers and make hot sauce. I bought some, great stuff, love it. I will buy again for sure!

Then, I had a recommendation on youtube to watch a how-to video on how to make hot sauce. I watch pretty much anything that I could find. I decided to make my own after a few weeks. I got some peppers from the grocery store, made a mix, started a fermentation for a week and tried it.

I was hooked.

First batch was a mix of all the peppers I could find (Habanero, Bird's eye and jalapeno). I added onions and garlic and 2% salt with distilled water. When I bottled, I used a bit of apple cider vinegar. Everything when in the vitamix for a few minutes.

Second batch was a bit different as I wanted a red sauce. I used 2-3 red habaneros and Bird's eye chillies. Around 100 grams of them (with onion and garlic, still 2% salt and distilled water). This one, I also put some oregano, cinnamon and cumin. Out of those 3, I can only taste the cumin. But I love the sauce, great on tacos.

Third batch, I added around 1/4 of diced pinapple with my habanero/bird's eye. You can taste the pineapple in there.

Yesterday, I started the next batch. I plan to ferment that one for 2 weeks instead of 1. That one has bird's eye, red bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes and garlic, it better be red! I also put a few coriander leaves.

I got a few plants from a local store for the summer (tomatoes, cucumbers, kale, basil, dill, etc). I also bought a cayenne plant and something called super chili. I'm waiting to harvest them...

Top Bottom