What's new

Homemade Old-Spice Aftershave

After mentioning that I've been using my own Old-Spice type aftershave under Parker Variant pass-around thread, I've been asked to share the recipe. It's actually pretty simple, and unfortunately, I cannot take credit for the blend of oils in it, as I'm buying the essential oil blend already mixed, and then adding it into a fairly simple aftershave recipe.

What I've been mixing, and I don't always measure exact, so each batch comes out a little different, but, the ingredients are:

1/2 Cup of Vodka (I've been using some Smirnoff we have, don't tell the wife)
1/4 Cup of Witch Hazel (Dickinson's from Wal-Mart)
2 Tbsp of Glycerin (I added extra to hydrate the skin)
1 Pinch (a very small amount of light shavings) off my Alum Block

From there I add to my satisfaction, usually 15-20 drops give or take of scent oil. What I'm using for scent oil is a mix I found on eBay, that smells so good my wife asked me "why can't you just use that strait?"....she didn't realize it was a mix of oils and needs to be cut or diluted. The scent end result in close to original Old-Spice, without any powdery scent, and probably better for the skin, as it's all essentials oils, glycerin, witch hazel, and enough alcohol to allow them to mix. Let the mix sit for a week in the glass bottle, as I swear it gets better the longer it sits. For the mix of oils, search for "OLD SPICE TYPE Uncut Incense Oil" and you'll find it in a quart sized bottle. (I paid around $20 for the bottle, enough to last me a life time).

If you're Bay-Rum villain, substitute a spicy rum (Captain's or Baccardi) for the Vodka, and in place of the oil mix, add in:

10 drops of Bay Rum Oil or 2-3 Bay Leaves (Pimento Racemosa, not cooking bay leaves)
A broken up Cinnamon Stick (really crush it)
1-1.5 Teaspoons of Crushed/Powdered Clove (fresh if possible)
1/4-1/2 Teaspoon of Crushed Allspice
5 drops or so of Orange (I use sweet orange)

If you want more complex side notes, have fun and add in just a couple drops of some Lemon, Lime, or Bergamot. You can actually add the them to your preference, some like more orange, other might leave it out, I like orange and add extra. - You can really experiment and tune to your liking.

Now, with the Bay-Rum, you need to let that baby sit in a cool dark place for at least two(2) weeks, three is better. Then take a coffee filter and strain it a couple of times to remove the sediment from the cinnamon, allspice, and leaves if you used real bay leaves. Bottle using a small funnel and enjoy. If you're using all ingredients and not oils, the longer it sits in that cool dark room, the more interesting it smells when you strain it.

Enjoy!

Actually had a bottle of OLD SPICE TYPE Uncut Incense Oil on it's way to me when I got notified that they were completely out and cancelled my order. Rats! Oh well, guess I'll stick with Avon Spicy for consolation.

@cyberdog This is very cool thanks! I have some leftover alcohol from my former drinkin' days, some freshly arrived methol crystals and a mind for playing around with DIY aftershaves...

Do you filter out the sediment of vanilla sticks and clove bits after your two weeks fermentation? It doesn't go into solution, does it? Maybe a daily shake is all it takes? I don't like the idea of wearing actual spice on my face.

Yes, I ran the resulting mix through coffee filters to remove sediment. After a couple of batches, I'd hold any oils until after the straining, and only put in the solids for dissolving initially. - We want the oils, but some gets removed by filtering, and the filter strains faster without the oil.

Then let it sit again for 3 to 4 days after adding the oils.

I've begun dissolving menthol into some of them....fantastic cooling feeling afterwards, especially on warmer days. Didn't think I'd like the menthol, but oh do I, and now go heavy on the menthol. Even tweeked some Yu (Vintage Pinaud) with menthol, and really like it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For the mix of oils, search for "OLD SPICE TYPE Uncut Incense Oil" and you'll find it in a quart sized bottle. (I paid around $20 for the bottle, enough to last me a life time).

A broken up Cinnamon Stick (really crush it)

5 drops or so of Orange (I use sweet orange).... &/or a couple drops of some Lemon, Lime, or Bergamot.

May I ask a couple of questions?

The cinnamon stick is a stick of actual cinnamon (the spice from our kitchen), right, and not like a candy or something processed?

The orange (or sweet orange), and the lemon, lime, bergamot are essential oils, right?

I can't find "OLD SPICE TYPE Uncut Incense Oil." This fragrance oil may be close enough - link - but I'd like your opinion on that; the vendor says not to use it for this purpose. I certainly want to be safe, and for others to be safe, and I'm very ignorant on making aftershaves.

Sorry for having to ask, but this is new to me. The recipes are intriguing to me.

Thanks,

Jim

I want to try this too. I looked on ebay and amazon for the scent oil, but the few I found look sketchy.. none say 'uncut' or natural.
Making the mix yourself with all natural ingredients will cost @ $75 but there should be enough
to share and you know what your putting on your skin.

Yes, the Cinnamon is rolled Cinnamon, like you'd put in a hot Totti.

It's been ages since I bought that scenting oil, which may have been on closeout at the time. It was advertised as all natural, and I'll need to look for any information card, if I kept it. It was sold for scenting soap, aftershave, and cologne. I'm a bit heavy on the scenting, with a less than stellar nose for smells.

Top Bottom