What's new

Homemade grape juice - first time making

I have a volunteer grape growing in the front yard, this is a greenish yellow grape with seeds.

The taste is like a sweet white wine, but they rot on the vine before winter, and usually they feed the birds.

So I picked many bunches and took a metal sieve and a soup ladle and squished the grapes into grape juice.

It was pulpy, but darned tasty.

Maybe I will have to buy a colander with tools for next year.

I should try this. My in laws give my girl and I more grapes than we can eat every year. Like you say, the animals end up eating them. It’s no good for wine unfortunately

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll have to ask me bride for her simple grape juice recipe. We put up GALLONS last year. I took to mixing it with 7up last winter occasionally. Very nice.
My Unkle used to make wine, and my wife's friend does now. Quite an art, and some creations are easily better than the cheap store bought. And our grapes are all organic, as is everything we grow. If I want there to be no bugs on my food I just pick them off!

I'll have to ask me bride for her simple grape juice recipe. We put up GALLONS last year. I took to mixing it with 7up last winter occasionally. Very nice.
My Unkle used to make wine, and my wife's friend does now. Quite an art, and some creations are easily better than the cheap store bought. And our grapes are all organic, as is everything we grow. If I want there to be no bugs on my food I just pick them off!
These are volunteer grapes that are in front of our walkway overhang

They get water by nature or when we water a rose or lavender bush.

I just rinsed them off

I don't use bug spray very often as the chemical in that is similar to the nerve agents I helped store and destroy at the Umatilla Chemical Depot in NE Oregon

You can google the recipe, but
pick the grapes and de stem them, if you can get around 4lbs that is good for a batch to make a jelly /preserve.
crush grapes add water, cook and then put through a cheescloth sieve, now for jelly, that being clear, jut let the juice drip thru for hours and then use the juice for a jelly recipe, what i do is wring the grapes thru the sieve(once it cools a bit) doing so puts speck of great flavor thru the sieve, the juice is not clear but more flavorful. then use that juice for making jelly/preserves.
I use certo to jellying, recipe is in the box.
It is that time of year folks, making grape jelly/preserves is a lot of work, I would pick 20 lbs easy, de stemm ,crush, boil up in batches, and fill a large container with processed juice, then make jars of preserves from it, you cannot beat the taste from anything you can possibly buy.
I used to get concord grape in the wild, would drive around the woods until I could smell them being ripe.
Word of caution , wild grapes (at least in New england) is usually accompanied with poison ivy vines, so look around before you pick stuff.
have fun..

You can google the recipe, but
pick the grapes and de stem them, if you can get around 4lbs that is good for a batch to make a jelly /preserve.
crush grapes add water, cook and then put through a cheescloth sieve, now for jelly, that being clear, jut let the juice drip thru for hours and then use the juice for a jelly recipe, what i do is wring the grapes thru the sieve(once it cools a bit) doing so puts speck of great flavor thru the sieve, the juice is not clear but more flavorful. then use that juice for making jelly/preserves.
I use certo to jellying, recipe is in the box.
It is that time of year folks, making grape jelly/preserves is a lot of work, I would pick 20 lbs easy, de stemm ,crush, boil up in batches, and fill a large container with processed juice, then make jars of preserves from it, you cannot beat the taste from anything you can possibly buy.
I used to get concord grape in the wild, would drive around the woods until I could smell them being ripe.
Word of caution , wild grapes (at least in New england) is usually accompanied with poison ivy vines, so look around before you pick stuff.
have fun..
I am waiting for the first freeze as there are Concords (I think) on the back fence that have migrated from the neighbors yard.

Then it will be jelly or juice time.

I see a juicer in your future...

CF297379-D7FC-4B94-AF2C-7D5391B9738D.jpeg

this is a LeQuip Mini, model 110.5

maybe fifteen years old.

I made for myself a grape with apple and lemon, and did a carrot/apple/lemon/fennel for my wife

We dont have grapes growing on the property. She works farmer’s markets however, and brings plenty of good fruits and veggies all season. I should be juicing more regularly.

Top Bottom