What's new

Homemade cookbook

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Right, I haven't found the same topic yet (which doesn't mean it doesn't exists but anyways).

I usually keep my recipes in a word file. I started using evernote a while back and, it's easy to find everything in there however, I have some recipes there and some in my word file. I really like the Evernote format, it's searchable! It's also easy to clip a page. My other half has her own word file and also her own Evernote account (so we have recipes here and there).

So... Since we either risk the laptop next to the stove when me make something or print a fresh copy of something, it ends up being a bit annoying. It's not too bad to find something but having everything in one spot would be best. I always prefer a hard copy (i.e. paper) which makes it easier to use and if I spill something on the paper, I could re-print that page.

I was looking at what's available online and I reckon I will need to make my own template for this one. My current recipe book is good as I have a table of content and everything is split by type (Sauces, Beef, Pork, Pasta, etc.) I probably need to make an alphabetical table of all my titles and I should be in business.

Everything is a bit messy as I'm going from Celsius to Fahrenheit and from grams to ml to cups when it comes to measurement. I probably need to use a standard.

The template that I have is really simple, I'd like to have a small picture of the dish and things like that.

So far, the template that I was thinking of was something like this
$Untitled.png

I would move the instructions section down and give it the full page width, then make the ingredients section two columns because instructions are always more wordy, with long sentences.

I have a smart phone that can read both word documents and pdf files. I keep my personal recipes on my phone, which can be set on the end of the counter out of harm's way.

Luc,

Check out Paprika Recipe Manager. It is an awesome app and works on desktop and mobile devices. It is a bit pricey, but it is well worth it in my opinion. It is searchable, you can make as many categories and tags as you want, it has a great import feature. I really love it.

Standard disclaimers - no affiliation, I just love the app.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just hand write mine in my B&B Journal. When I am ready to make something, I just transpose the recipe to a sheet of paper I don't mind messing up. The journal is for posterity, the sheet I can just toss when done.

Luc

Staff member
Mmm, perhaps I should add more details. What I'm aiming for is to get away from having a laptop, phone, anything electronic on the counter. I find it easier to work with paper. Now, that's easy, I can print out everything and put it in a binder. However, the wise way to do it would be to have a table of contents and an alphabetical order, print the lot, split it properly and off I go. I'm pretty much at the stage where I do not add many things anymore and I rotate my menu around 100 recipes or so (including mains, salads, deserts, soups and sauces). Some of them, I do not need the recipe, but I should probably write it down anyways.

I will keep thinking on how I want this...

Luc

Staff member
I may try to post an example as the original template that I made seems to work

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Luc.

I use MS Word. Section for Cover, Section for table of contents, Section for the recipes. Each recipe starts with the recipe's name is a style. Word knows/or is told that the style is to be treated as a table of contents entry. I've been redoing one of our recipe books that we had printed out for our family. Not finished as yet but might give you ideas. I'm happy to share.

Luc

Staff member
Sounds like what I have. I am also happy to share. I will send you a link later

I've found that MS OneNote works pretty well. Create a notebook for Recipes, Section tabs across the top and and content tabs down the right side for each section. Very easy to set up, manage, cut and paste to etc. And everything automatically saves.

Luc

Staff member
Luc.

I use MS Word. Section for Cover, Section for table of contents, Section for the recipes. Each recipe starts with the recipe's name is a style. Word knows/or is told that the style is to be treated as a table of contents entry. I've been redoing one of our recipe books that we had printed out for our family. Not finished as yet but might give you ideas. I'm happy to share.

Mike, I haven't forgot, it just took me a while to get there. Here's a read link to my cookbook in google drive

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D1azrjWNNt-269OPBBXJ4b4zslrsjxyWpAWM3O63u2c/edit?usp=sharing

I may re-do the sections or not, not sure yet but I will use a template to make the recipes cleaner a bit and add some notes if required. I need to re-do the table of contents to have an alphabetical order (which I figured out how) and I should be in business after that

Luc

Staff member
I will give the Texas Red Chilli a try eventually. I will need to reformat and standardize my recipes a bit as I have some in Celsius and some in a Fahrenheit (as an example). I do have a couple of them in evernote (Texas Red Chilli is there too now). I can easily access those chillies around here. It wasn't the case 10 years ago...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I will give the Texas Red Chilli a try eventually. I will need to reformat and standardize my recipes a bit as I have some in Celsius and some in a Fahrenheit (as an example). I do have a couple of them in evernote (Texas Red Chilli is there too now). I can easily access those chillies around here. It wasn't the case 10 years ago...

That's true even for around here (regarding the dried chili's). My regular supermarket carries them in bulk now. Usually the ancho and some other unidentified pepper. To get a fresher, rarer and properly labeled pepper, I have to got to the Mexican market.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Mike, there are very good ones in there! I will start patching my cookbook and will post a draft of a few recipes to see some feedback.

Luc

Staff member
Ah! it's working! and good to see you Paul!

I have a strong Mexican and Italian influence in mine. There's also a few recipes from my grand-ma in there like the Tourtière. Last one I made was with Bison, Boar and Wapiti. I also added a very local herb named Labrador Tea (that you could infuse as tea of course). It gave a nice taste. It's funny because 10 years ago, you couldn't find these spices here.

Top Bottom