What's new

Homemade, Cigar Box, Straight Razor Case

Well, as the title indicates, I made a straight razor case out of a cigar box, some high quality foam packing material (that I got with the power supply I used to build a PC), and a little silica cylinder that came in a pill bottle. I used a sharpie and a serrated steak knife to mark and cut the foam. I sealed up the edges with a torch lighter. It was a quick and fun little project that, while a bit rough looking, will do for a few months. I've got 2 more razors on the way, and will update when I make spots for them. Sorry about the crappy iphone photos.

Last edited:
Jon,
Very nice! It looks great. It looks like you can use as both a display case as well as as for safe storage. I think you inspired me to do the same.

Thank you. If I had spent a bit more time, it could have come out a bit cleaner. Maybe an x-acto knife and a ruler next time. I've got another slab of foam that I can use for another go in the near future. Btw, does anyone know where one might purchase some high quality foam online?

Samouraï;1327741 said:
Btw, does anyone know where one might purchase some high quality foam online?

If you have one close by, you can try an arts & crafts store like Michael's or ACMoore.

Their respective websites' also stock it in different sizes.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I will have to make myself one of those, good work!

This is a great idea, my only concern/ question is that given that this is a cedar wood it will hold more humidity, therefore you will need to make sure the blades are super-extra dry.

This is a great idea, my only concern/ question is that given that this is a cedar wood it will hold more humidity, therefore you will need to make sure the blades are super-extra dry.

ooh, I might need to reformulate my plan. I guess it works like a cheap humidor, eh? retaining the moisture that is put into the box--so if the blades have specks of water going in, they will stay...

what if i sealed the cedar?

That looks great!

I tried a similar project.

I found a box at Ross Dress for Less and put a Dollar Tree sponge in it. Then used and exacto knife to cut slots in it so that I could put the razors in that way. Your approach is much more pleasin gto the eye however. :thumbup:

Samouraï;1330771 said:
ooh, I might need to reformulate my plan. I guess it works like a cheap humidor, eh? retaining the moisture that is put into the box--so if the blades have specks of water going in, they will stay...

Most likely you will be fine if you dry them really well. Ceiling the wood will definitely help IMHO. Good luck, I am going to make one too.

Angel

hey, if you guys make some cases like this, post them online. im probably going to try again when my other two razors arrive. I would love to see everyone's doityourself work.

I used bright, white satin for mine, cheaper than velvet and easier to sew too (I stitched mine around the foam, then dropped it in like a pillow).

Given that most of my razors have black celluloid handles I get a rockin' contrast.

BTW since my razors lie flat, I built two layers, so if i ever need it as a travel case, I just take the ones out of the top so that the ones in bottom are foamed/satined on each side.

Last edited:
Samouraï;1330771 said:

I assume if you put in enough of those silica cylinders the inside of that box will be much drier than any typical bathroom.

I keep the 2 razors I have at the moment in a cigar box (plenty of those empty boxes around for me), I need to get some silica bags or similar...

Good work!

Top Bottom