What's new

Homemade bamboo brush

S

surpera1

you can make yourself a soap bowl or mug out of it too - blue henon is a giant timber species - how old is your grove ? it will reach spectacular size in time - wanna do some trading ? i have a really nice root ball with some new shoots bout 4 feet tall or so i can get to easy - a piece like that cost about $100 from a nursery - heres a link to some pix of my species
http://www.lewisbamboo.com/pvivax.html

you can make yourself a soap bowl or mug out of it too - blue henon is a giant timber species - how old is your grove ? it will reach spectacular size in time - wanna do some trading ? i have a really nice root ball with some new shoots bout 4 feet tall or so i can get to easy - a piece like that cost about $100 from a nursery - heres a link to some pix of my species
http://www.lewisbamboo.com/pvivax.html

Thanks for the offer--I'd love to, but it didn't come from my grove. I purchased it from a farmer in SC.

S

surpera1

ok - but that does give me an idea - maybe someone here would be interested in some trading

Perhaps--let me finish this one first and make sure I can put an attractive, durable finish on it, and then I'll get back to those of you who expressed interest if I think it's something worthwhile.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it.

Very nice. I have some P. Nigra, P Henon, P "Robert Young" and P Vivax groves growing on my property. I will have to try them out. That is a beautiful brush.

Last edited:
if anyone finds a good sealer for bamboo,would you mind posting it.I have bamboo in my yard as well Bamboo is such a great medium to work with!!

Update: Here's the finished product. Getting the finish right took a lot of trial and error--I had to sand off three finishes I tried because it either didn't stick well or didn't look right. In the end I ended up going with just pure tung oil. It's not the most durable, but the bamboo is so dense that I think it will be fine. Also, I filled the cavity inside with a thickened epoxy, so there's no way it will split--it's held together from the inside essentially the entire length of the handle.

A few things I'd do differently next time, but overall I'm very happy with it. I think the tung oil is the way to go even though it may require a bit more maintenance. Right now it seems pretty water resistant, and the inside it completely coated with epoxy, so the only concern is the outside absorbing water, but I think that wiping it off after use and the occasional fresh coat of oil will provide many years of use. You can also see that I set the knot a little deeper than I had it in the first pics, but I like the feel of it better this way.

If anyone else tries this, I'd love to see the results, so please drop a link here if you start a new thread. Thanks for all the comments and complements everyone!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom