What's new

Homelikeshaving CTAPT razor.

No blade smiling nor canting on any of the baseplates. The blades rests equally on both sides and more importantly as rigid and stable as any other de razor out there. Today it was the 1.18 sb again with a Gillette Minora and it worked fantastically well. A smooth and nicely efficient 3 pass shave that left little doubt of a BBS result. The Start truly is a well made and crafted razor tool.

Great shaves to all….

96C8CD0D-CCF6-4105-9435-0BA5E5DACED0.jpeg

I took pics and completely forgot to post my friend. My apologies. Like I stated a couple posts before, I see no canting nor any curvature on the top cap itself. I can’t tell you why yours has this design and mine seems to not. Maybe it was a design implementation after the first run and they decided to change or tweak razor geometry. All speculation of course…

4CC43B13-3DD2-4CF2-A6B3-BA3706FDCE19.jpeg

1AF8CCD1-5161-47AE-9641-60EF99032ABF.jpeg

FFABCB71-5EF8-4CBE-B559-BFD6E4122884.jpeg

Easy & smooth shave with the HomelikeShaving Start .90 razor. I used it again with a Gillette Minora blade and not a single issue relating to shave shave during nor post. Just a well made and designed razor that gives quality results every single time. Not a lot of talk on this razor likely due to the situation and conflict over in the Ukraine as it has been nearly impossible to get any goods in from Russia. Also, there are those that have drawn a line by not supporting the act from the Russian government (and the maker/producer that resides in said country) on a country that wants their independence and sovereignty. By no means am I wanting to make this a political point nor expressing a viewpoint on where I stand. Suffering and death is suffering and death, no two ways about it. Hopefully it does end soon but, it seems to be a ways off still. Regardless of the situation currently, I speak of the razor from HomelikeShaving and I consider the Start to be one of the best in its category. The complete kit at first release was available for $165 US shipped. Considering the prices today of premium alloys, higher expense in production & machinery and being produced half way around the world, it was and is a heck of a deal. When one considers that for the price mentioned earlier, one received 4 different sized gap base plates ranging from .69 up to 1.18 with an open comb variant in a .90 gap size. The .69 is a bit too mild for my liking but, everything else in the size range is a pleasure to use as the Start combines smooth & efficient performance that is undoubtedly attributed to the makers careful design and implementation that is practically seamless. In terms of shave performance and quality, it hangs with any razor designed of equal alloy and especially with those costing 2-3 times as much. Again, I’m solely speaking of the attributes of this razor and the careful design that went into making this excellent performing kit. I do wish that it was more easily attainable for the rest of the shave world but, as most know the current circumstances in play are making that possibility extremely difficult and arguably, rightly so. My thoughts and opinions on the state of affairs between the two countries in question are not needed to be said here. There are other forums and even perhaps threads within this forum that would allow for further discussio..

Here I just wanted to speak solely of a razor that delivers on a daily basis with excellent performance that exudes quality with value that is becoming exceedingly rare these days.

Great shaves to all….

5FC65DBD-3EB6-490E-A88D-C1898E87FE85.jpeg

Last edited:
I took pics and completely forgot to post my friend. My apologies. Like I stated a couple posts before, I see no canting nor any curvature on the top cap itself. I can’t tell you why yours has this design and mine seems to not. Maybe it was a design implementation after the first run and they decided to change or tweak razor geometry. All speculation of course…

View attachment 1665421
View attachment 1665422
View attachment 1665423
It is extremely slight and uniform on both sides. This is a "higher contrast" image showing it.
IMG_20230604_203223~2.jpg

This was also one of the last Starts ever made or shipped internationally... Before the start 2.

I'm curious about all the Russian razor posts recently. Here and TSD have new posts on this razor company. While the new Start 2 looks like a good razor, at >$150USD for the set, you open up a lot of good options like the Edwin Jagger 3one6 and Muhle Rocca, not to mention things like the Razorocks which are similar and good in their own right.

Without getting into politics beyond the obvious, and not knowing the position of the people behind this razor company, I wouldn't want to risk having my razor confiscated or otherwise stopped at import/export points between Russia and Texas.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I'm curious about all the Russian razor posts recently. Here and TSD have new posts on this razor company. While the new Start 2 looks like a good razor, at >$150USD for the set, you open up a lot of good options like the Edwin Jagger 3one6 and Muhle Rocca, not to mention things like the Razorocks which are similar and good in their own right.

Without getting into politics beyond the obvious, and not knowing the position of the people behind this razor company, I wouldn't want to risk having my razor confiscated or otherwise stopped at import/export points between Russia and Texas.
If "political" is not involved, the manufacturer has the power to set prices freely.
When the AS-D2 first appeared, people were also surprised "why buy a $200 razor" and "$50 has many good choices".
But today the market is flooded with many more expensive razors, even as high as $500.

It is also possible that people have collected these Russian razors before the war and have continued to use/rotate them until now.
So they won't be affected by transport obstructions and can still enjoy their razor.

It is also possible that people have collected these Russian razors before the war and have continued to use/rotate them until now.
So they won't be affected by transport obstructions and can still enjoy their razor.
Fair comment on past purchases but, I'm seeing recent interest by people who don't own them. ~$150 opens up a lot of premium razor options today.

If someone wants to spend $500 on a razor, that is for them to decide which one, where it comes from, etc.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Fair comment on past purchases but, I'm seeing recent interest by people who don't own them. ~$150 opens up a lot of premium razor options today.

If someone wants to spend $500 on a razor, that is for them to decide which one, where it comes from, etc.
Because HLS finally finished their tunable slant recently after a long delay.
Its head has a greater curvature than Rex's slant razor and is closer to the contours of some traditional slants, thus once again attracting attention to HLS products.

Of course, some people who own HLS razors will take out their collections again and experience its quality again.

I don't own HLS, but I do have several expensive razors such as Wolfman WR2, Tatara Muramasa, Charcoal goods... I would say that their processing complexity and design exploration are indeed superior to brands like Razorock and Muhle, although the shaving effect is not a multiple difference.

Last edited:

I've owned my particular Start razor since Oct '19. So I've had it since before the invasion of Russia on the Ukraine. It hasn't been in a full rotation as I have quite a selection of razors that I try to get time with and honestly I slightly prefer over the Start but, I still manage to get some time with it as it is a very well made kit. At the time when first released, $150 for a complete kit was nearly unheard of except for the Rockwell 6S yet, the limitation on its production via MIM for the 6S makes it fall short on terms of overall quality, looks and feel vs the Start by HLS. The only other manufacturer that comes within the vicinity of bang for your buck would be the Karve by Christopher Bradley. And that is for a Brass kit that one would have to configure themselves at the time of purchase. Their SS razor is much more expensive over the HLS Start so, one can see the value of the Start with the multitude of options it offered as a "standard kit.' Shipping was a non issue at the time with a 2-3 week lead that was fully insured with an upgrade in shipping which totaled, the kit shipped for $165 US. Today, current status & mostly financial sanctions imposed on Russia by the international coalition prohibits US buyers to procure goods directly from Russia as online purchasing is prohibited and nearly all forms of digital and web based payment forms are a no go as part of the levied sanctions against Russia. There are ways of circumventing this but, it involves 3rd party cooperation in having someone in a country that has not stopped commerce with Russia like China for example, in obtaining products from Russia. But, that also raises the risk component exponentially of losing out on goods and basically zero chance of reimbursement if by chance through shipping it is lost in the netherworld.

On a personal level, I've had interactions with Sergey, the owner of HLS and he has always been a very good individual to deal with in answering any questions or concerns one may have with their products. Heck, I even hosted a pass around for a couple of his razors on another forum that he sponsored directly and then consequently donated said products to the forum for them to do with it as they pleased. Politically & Ideology wise, we are both on complete different paths as to what is happening in the war there and subsequently I had to refuse a potential sponsored pass around some time back because of my beliefs and disagreement with his stand on the situation. He understood & respected my decision though we were in complete disagreement with one another. Haven't heard from him since April of 2022 and if it costs me the ability to procure product or purchase from HLS in the future then, so be it. I can live with that easily knowing that I hold myself to different moral & ethical standards. Mind you those morals or standards of ethics are mine alone and may not be in agreement with others as well but, it's my choice just like it's everyone else's.

My apologies for the overly long response.

If "political" is not involved, the manufacturer has the power to set prices freely.
When the AS-D2 first appeared, people were also surprised "why buy a $200 razor" and "$50 has many good choices".
But today the market is flooded with many more expensive razors, even as high as $500.

Agreed. Many have purchased their HLS items in advance of the war and just continue with them in their current rotation.

Price & demand is based on the consumer and what that individual is willing to spend on a said item which in this case is a shaving tool. As you have stated quite plainly and easily, the method on how an individual looks at value vs performance that would equate to one accepting the worth of said product is completely subjective. In essence for the individual that wants to spend $50 compared to the one who justifies spending $500 in their respective pursuit of attaining a product, neither are wrong.

Great shaves to all....:straight:

I've owned my particular Start razor since Oct '19. So I've had it since before the invasion of Russia on the Ukraine. It hasn't been in a full rotation as I have quite a selection of razors that I try to get time with and honestly I slightly prefer over the Start but, I still manage to get some time with it as it is a very well made kit. At the time when first released, $150 for a complete kit was nearly unheard of except for the Rockwell 6S yet, the limitation on its production via MIM for the 6S makes it fall short on terms of overall quality, looks and feel vs the Start by HLS. The only other manufacturer that comes within the vicinity of bang for your buck would be the Karve by Christopher Bradley. And that is for a Brass kit that one would have to configure themselves at the time of purchase. Their SS razor is much more expensive over the HLS Start so, one can see the value of the Start with the multitude of options it offered as a "standard kit.' Shipping was a non issue at the time with a 2-3 week lead that was fully insured with an upgrade in shipping which totaled, the kit shipped for $165 US. Today, current status & mostly financial sanctions imposed on Russia by the international coalition prohibits US buyers to procure goods directly from Russia as online purchasing is prohibited and nearly all forms of digital and web based payment forms are a no go as part of the levied sanctions against Russia. There are ways of circumventing this but, it involves 3rd party cooperation in having someone in a country that has not stopped commerce with Russia like China for example, in obtaining products from Russia. But, that also raises the risk component exponentially of losing out on goods and basically zero chance of reimbursement if by chance through shipping it is lost in the netherworld.

On a personal level, I've had interactions with Sergey, the owner of HLS and he has always been a very good individual to deal with in answering any questions or concerns one may have with their products. Heck, I even hosted a pass around for a couple of his razors on another forum that he sponsored directly and then consequently donated said products to the forum for them to do with it as they pleased. Politically & Ideology wise, we are both on complete different paths as to what is happening in the war there and subsequently I had to refuse a potential sponsored pass around some time back because of my beliefs and disagreement with his stand on the situation. He understood & respected my decision though we were in complete disagreement with one another. Haven't heard from him since April of 2022 and if it costs me the ability to procure product or purchase from HLS in the future then, so be it. I can live with that easily knowing that I hold myself to different moral & ethical standards. Mind you those morals or standards of ethics are mine alone and may not be in agreement with others as well but, it's my choice just like it's everyone else's.

My apologies for the overly long response.

Agreed. Many have purchased their HLS items in advance of the war and just continue with them in their current rotation.

Price & demand is based on the consumer and what that individual is willing to spend on a said item which in this case is a shaving tool. As you have stated quite plainly and easily, the method on how an individual looks at value vs performance that would equate to one accepting the worth of said product is completely subjective. In essence for the individual that wants to spend $50 compared to the one who justifies spending $500 in their respective pursuit of attaining a product, neither are wrong.

Great shaves to all....:straight:

Sounds like you and I are of similar general mindset with these razors. Had the Ukraine conflict along with questionable press to support what I personally consider a distorted and biased viewpoint in Russia not occurred, I would probably be seriously interested in the Start2 version of their razor.

Previously, I would not have been opposed to supporting this company, like many others, under the belief that good trade is a positive thing for everyone and helps groups who don't normally interact develop relationships that expand understanding and insight which is generally good for everyone.

Small upstart companies like this are where new innovations originate for products that are not part of the larger mainstream corporate interests. Lambda razors out of Greece is another one I am thinking of today which seems to be on a similar trajectory. My limited understanding is that this is how the Wolfman razors got their start as well.

My Start 1.18 open comb was purchased and shipped mid March of 2022.... At that time I excepted the fate of the razor never arriving....

Another quality shave that was equally as good if not better than yesterday’s shave from the Start. This time though it was with the OC variant in the same .90 gap. Ultra smooth and easy on the skin while still being deceptively tenacious against the whiskers in 3 great passes. I honestly can’t say that I’ve ever received or given myself a bad shave with the Start razor in any of its configurations. A couple of weepers here and there with the 1.18 gap with a Feather installed but, it’s been carefree and solid in its consistency as an easy yet effective shaver whether in daily use or allowing a couple days or more of growth. My interest in the Start 2 is piqued but, unfortunately that may have to wait some time and who knows when to be honest. Bigger things are at play over there and my thoughts and prayers are for those that are suffering and dying everyday. Shaving is insignificant in such matters of humanity or lack there of.

Godspeed to those who show courage, strength and the fortitude to stand against tyranny and defiantly protect the right to establish the human right of liberty & freedom.

Great shaves to all….

360960DF-B396-49CA-A6F7-0D8F9DBCB60B.jpeg

It’s not a matter of transport, they can mail you the razor. You just can’t pay for it because of the economic sanctions currently in place. I contacted them about a base plate and that’s what they told me anyway.

Finally got the full Start (1) set! Both are in matte but the process and the steel are different the early production set is 304 with a "stone wash" like darker appearance than my 316 bead blasted 1.18oc late production.

IMG_20230813_215816.jpg

IMG_20230813_215801.jpg
IMG_20230813_215737.jpg

Finally got the full Start (1) set! Both are in matte but the process and the steel are different the early production set is 304 with a "stone wash" like darker appearance than my 316 bead blasted 1.18oc late production.

View attachment 1701892
View attachment 1701893View attachment 1701894
Glad you got your razor.

With current prices and the issues with Russia generally and the attitude of the owner of this company, I don't see these razors being a viable choice for the majority of people outside the Russian Federation.

I hope this razor serves you well but, I also think it is not a good choice for most people.

I assume you will review how it shaves at some point and I would be interested in comparisons to other multi-baseplate razors you have.

Top Bottom