What's new

Homelikeshaving CTAPT razor.

After two years daily driving my Van Der Hagen i think i’m finally going to buy my “forever”’razor. I really love this this CTAPT razor set and the price is right in my book. Anyone have any experience with it? I’ve found scant little online about it. Looks beautifully made though and with that many plates i know i’ll never need to buy another razor. Any thoughts or on it or experience with it are appreciated!

$150 for the kit. It comes with 4 different plates. The razor and 1 plate is $75. I’m going to spring for the kit so that when i get older i don’t need to purchase a more aggressive razor.

I got one with .69 plate but no handle and it really looks good and is a smooth mild shaver which is similar to Karve but, unfortunately for me, their quality control is left to be desired. In my case plates need some force to be in place when assembled and you will need a flat head screwdriver or something like this to separate them when it is time to replace the blade

I got one with .69 plate but no handle and it really looks good and is a smooth mild shaver which is similar to Karve but, unfortunately for me, their quality control is left to be desired. In my case plates need some force to be in place when assembled and you will need a flat head screwdriver or something like this to separate them when it is time to replace the blade

Man that’s...disconcerting. May have to rethink purchasing one now. I know this is their “new”
version so maybe they updated it? When did you buy yours?

Man that’s...disconcerting. May have to rethink purchasing one now. I know this is their “new”
version so maybe they updated it? When did you buy yours?
September 18
On my way to post office to find out how much it would cost to send back

@Macduff I would recommend you put a hold on this razor for now and continue to follow it and collect different opinions, if you're still interested. I can see you in time moving to another selection. IMO this is not the razor "to grow old with it".

I’m genuinely shocked since it seemed well manufactured. Any other suggestions? I’m not looking for a wolfman or timeless and i want something i can buy as a kit with different plates. I don’t want to shell out more money to buy each one individually. Then again, i don’t know of many people that have used the CTAPT so i may wait to see if others respond with more feedback. @Olegausany do you have any pictures of your razor? And you said you just bought the plate and not the handle correct?

Love my Karve.

I'm just sayin.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

The Karve is a fine razor but just not my style aesthetically for whatever reason. Appreciate the suggestion though! Problem for me is i rarely see a razor that “moves me.” In two years i’ve never once actually considered getting a new one. So to hear that the one i actually am considering buying is poorly machined is pretty disheartening. I do like the gamechanger but for whatever reason i just can’t pull the trigger on it.

I can't comment on the CTAPT, having never seen or used one, but there are several affordable "kit" razors that are either sold with multiple plates, like the Rockwell 6S (or 6C if stainless steel isn't a requirement for you), or razors with multiple available base plates, like the Karve or the RazoRock Game Changer. I can personally recommend the Rockwell and Game Changer options, and have heard only good things about the Karve. For under $100, you can get the Game Changer with the .68, .84 and .84 open comb base plates.

I can't comment on the CTAPT, having never seen or used one, but there are several affordable "kit" razors that are either sold with multiple plates, like the Rockwell 6S (or 6C if stainless steel isn't a requirement for you), or razors with multiple available base plates, like the Karve or the RazoRock Game Changer. I can personally recommend the Rockwell and Game Changer options, and have heard only good things about the Karve. For under $100, you can get the Game Changer with the .68, .84 and .84 open comb base plates.

Yeah i’d actually been eying the gamechanger for a long time but just can’t quite bring myself to go all in on it. For whatever reason i’m usually a one and done person. When i buy a new razor, it’ll be the only one i ever get. The 6s is also a nice razor but something about the bulky plates i don’t like. But again, thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah i’d actually been eying the gamechanger for a long time but just can’t quite bring myself to go all in on it. For whatever reason i’m usually a one and done person. When i buy a new razor, it’ll be the only one i ever get. The 6s is also a nice razor but something about the bulky plates i don’t like. But again, thanks for the suggestions!
I have made several razor purchases thinking that they would be my last, including a Rockwell, Game Changer and Muhle Rocca. All are very fine razors, and the Rocca and Game Changer get used regularly. I didn't like the Rockwell's bulky plates and sold that one.

I've always set my price limit for a razor at $100, but I could easily have spent several times that if I just limited myself, as you intend to do, to one razor. In that case, strictly from what I've read, I'd recommend you look at the high end razors that consistently get the best reviews around here. Personally I would probably go with Timeless if you want the multiple base plate options, but others like ATT and Charcoal Goods might be more attractive to you.

For me it is very similar to brass Karve with B plate. Karve has perfect precision workmanship and the START don't.
So I went to post office and found out that it will cost me to ship it back for the price of new plate and shipping so it is totally not worth it. Since it is still can be used I will just keep it but can't recommend it since there is no guarantee that other people will have no problems

If you like a smooth shave, what about the Razorock Mamba?

Also Timeless razors are awesome.

If you like a smooth shave, what about the Razorock Mamba?

Also Timeless razors are awesome.

I don't have either of the Mamba but I have GC68 and really like it but will use it tomorrow morning so I can compare it to START
I also have Timeless Ti68 and it is great but it costs several times more than START

I don't have either of the Mamba but I have GC68 and really like it but will use it tomorrow morning so I can compare it to START
I also have Timeless Ti68 and it is great but it costs several times more than START

I was heavily considering the gamechanger so i have some thinking to do. And although it sounds like a bold claim, whatever razor i buy really will be the only one. For whatever reason, the razor aspect of shaving has never been an area i’ve had much interest in. I like blades and aftershaves. Soaps too but i use a puck before i buy the next one. Aftershaves are where i feel like i can’t have enough. Though my stash is getting pretty good these days and i’m considering just using what i have for a couple years.

I was heavily considering the gamechanger so i have some thinking to do. And although it sounds like a bold claim, whatever razor i buy really will be the only one. For whatever reason, the razor aspect of shaving has never been an area i’ve had much interest in. I like blades and aftershaves. Soaps too but i use a puck before i buy the next one. Aftershaves are where i feel like i can’t have enough. Though my stash is getting pretty good these days and i’m considering just using what i have for a couple years.
I well understand where you are coming from but I personally prefer to use different soap/aftershave for each shave so I have a small collection which would last me several years
But since you are looking for just one razor with multiple settings I would recommend to do one of the following
Brass Karve with several different plates
Gillette Fatboy or Slim or Super Adjustable
I have Karve with B plate as well as Slim and really enjoy both so they are not going anywhere. I also have Fatboy but it is heavier than Slim so is for sale. I also have Super adjustable but need to compare it to Slim before I decide what to do with it
There are several modern adjustable razors but they are too heavy. Only Qshave's Futur clone is the right weight but it is more aggressive even on the lower settings so I'm not sure if it will work for you. I have tried it just once so can't say much
I have not tried Rex Ambassador yet but I am on the Passaround list so it will take about a month before my turn comes

Top Bottom