What's new

Homelike TAIGA Adjustable Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.jpg
6.jpg
5 (1).jpg

Have you seen this new Russian beauty? All stainless steel, called TAIGA, LIFETIME WARRANTY!
https://homelikeshaving.ru/reguliruemaya-britva-tajga.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu21Bk7eUJE

It's been on my radar even though I just bought the Rex Ambassador last week. The reviews I've seen/read are universally positive.

For a fleeting moment a few weeks ago I considered buying blind. I registered at their site. But I eventually decided I'd let others be the early adopters. I also really don't want to deal with long shipping times to Russia if ever there was a problem with the razor. I'll likely delay any future decision to buy in the hopes that a US vendor picks these up and offers them. Then again, my RAD (for adjustables at least) has been pinging like crazy lately, so who knows).

I own an Ambassador as well and while it great razor, for me it is as good as Timeless Ti, Taiga has features no other adjustable razors have as much as I know. You can use either stainless steel or titanium handle and use either SB or OC baseplate. My only wish is that you can buy configuration you want instead of buying entire set and pay for parts you will never use

I had been monitoring the forums and pondering buying one as soon as they were posted on Home Like Shaving's website. I debated almost daily and then finally submitted the order last night at midnight. I bought one for a couple reasons.

#1 - I like having the option to have swappable base plates as I definitely like open comb availability especially if I take several days between shaves. I don't know of any other SS adjustable razor with that option. #2 I wanted to try another modern completely SS adjustable. I had a Rex Ambassador and REALLY really wanted to love it (especially being American made) but the baseplate just felt kinda sharp for me even on lower settings [emoji2369] . I know it's probably just me as I know many people love it. #3 I made myself clear out a couple razors to justify paying for it [emoji51].

I debated trying to get on the list to try the demo unit... but then I emailed them directly and ended up talking to another Russian collector who purchased one of my rarer razors. They both convinced me to try it out. It is pretty pricey though with additional conversion fees with a US credit card. I'll report back once I receive it and give it a thorough review. [emoji106] For now, I'll keep using my new Occam's Enoch (wonderful and affordable razor BTW). I still haven't tried out the Occam's DE yet [emoji848].

Josh

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I was able to demo the Prototype and did a side by side shave against the Ambassador and the Taiga was definitely smoother and just as efficient. Put my order in but just after they closed for the New Year so it will probably be mid February before I see it. It was very well made and easy to take apart and put back together.

I just mentioned on another thread I was waiting for this to be released. Can be disassembled like the Gibbs for cleaning, 2 plates and an option for a titanium handle. I like my Rex just fine but prefer the smoothness of my Gibbs much more so I wanted to try this one. Also didn’t like thinking about what lurks in my Rex since I can’t do a detailed clean. Gibbs owners will understand what I mean.

Went to check to see if the TAIGA was available last night with my wallet burning and I saw that they decided to change the adjustment dial. The prototype dial was so much better and was more of a nod to the Gibbs than the Rex is. I was really annoyed.

Don’t like the new dial choice at all and don’t understand the thought process for changing it. For me, the new dial just doesn’t go with the style of the rest of the razor and I think this was a bad decision on their part. I heard they made other improvements over the prototype but I feel this was just a mistake.

I’m going to hold off and see if they go back to the other dial. If the razor knocks people’s socks off, I might pick one up, but I’m not sure at this point.

Yeah this Taiga gig is like having a candle to God and another to the Devil, very undecided...more so due to the changes last minute. Will wait for some reviews now.....it's a chunck of change.....

Changes, distance from seller (for those of us in North America at least), and sometimes customization isn't something I want to pay for. To wit, I would want the titanium handle and only the SB baseplate. I have no desire to pay for the standard SS handle in addition to the titanium version + a CB that I don't want at all. YMMV, but all of that is what ultimately has prevented me from purchasing even though my RAD is pinging hard these days, especially for adjustables.

Changes, distance from seller (for those of us in North America at least), and sometimes customization isn't something I want to pay for. To wit, I would want the titanium handle and only the SB baseplate. I have no desire to pay for the standard SS handle in addition to the titanium version + a CB that I don't want at all. YMMV, but all of that is what ultimately has prevented me from purchasing even though my RAD is pinging hard these days, especially for adjustables.
+1

Has anyone already tested this razor and can tell me how it compares to the Rockwell 6s..?

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

Well, I'm anxiously awaiting my Taiga from Omsk, Russia. There hasn't been a change in tracking in >4 days [emoji58]... Hopefully this is temporary and it will soon update and show that the razor is in customs or something. [emoji2369]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom