What's new

Homelike TAIGA Adjustable Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bling edition - razor of oligarchs! Photos will be required.

Not mine, but imbedded crystals (a la Mergress) - cool!

proxy.php

Not mine, but imbedded crystals (a la Mergress) - cool!

proxy.php
there was one that had 3

quite understated this one is....there was one that had 3 stones embedded on top of the top cap....a bit much.
Ordered by some dude in Canada.

still, if you're going oligarch might as well go full oligarch.

meanwhile shipping from Russia sucks...mine was shipped under most expensive shipping mode....still
stuck there after 12 days.

quite understated this one is....there was one that had 3 stones embedded on top of the top cap....a bit much.
Ordered by some dude in Canada.

still, if you're going oligarch might as well go full oligarch.

meanwhile shipping from Russia sucks...mine was shipped under most expensive shipping mode....still
stuck there after 12 days.

Interestingly the razor is probably the least embellished and decorated of personal tools, and usually tastefully done with an eye to minimally compromising the function of the tool. Except for Gillette's early stamped engravings (which were true art), and of course, this one :sleep: :

proxy.php

Interestingly the razor is probably the least embellished and decorated of personal tools, and usually tastefully done with an eye to minimally compromising the function of the tool. Except for Gillette's early stamped engravings (which were true art), and of course, this one :sleep: :

proxy.php
That one needs a little something to make it stand out.

TLDR: James Dufour had better pull his finger out, because some rivals have caught up.

This is by no means a cheap razor. So I was always nervous about a blind buy.
Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Remarkable first shave, really.

Set it on 5 for two full passes, face and neck....then 2 XTG passes on neck at 3 setting.

Comfort:

This razor to me is all about comfort....with efficiency in spades.
The blade feel was there on 5 but never threatening. The ability to buff on 3 in the neck area
was a godsend. Usually the neck protests but this was like butter.

So 9/10 for comfort.

Efficiency:

I would be happy if I could leave it at 5 and forget it. Results were somewhere in the area of a
1.45/1.55 WR2. But I will need to monitor and see how long the effects last. There will be plenty of
time to play around, so Im in no rush.

Relative Efficiency for 5 setting: 9/10

Shave Angle:

I usually find this within the first 2 strokes and this time was no different. Interestingly enough, I found
the optimum angle was had by leaning towards riding the cap (not something I usually do). Still this is first
use, so I may change my view. I love the audio on this razor.... somewhat like the high pitched whine you
hear when a jet begins to accelerate on the runway (imagine the razor version of that sound, in short bursts).

Construction & Finish:

I like the mirror polish on this piece, lots of attention paid to underside of top cap, which many don't care
about. The components came apart easily but I had some trouble with the threads while screwing the
adjustment knob...most probably my fault as the pieces were wet. The adjustment knob had loads of tension,
and I never felt that I would dislodge the setting mid shave...mine was rock solid, although I don't know what may
happen if the spring gets loose over time. Speaking of spring, I kinda panicked because I couldn't find mine even though
the adjustment was flawless. Upon close inspection it is so tightly wedged in there one may need to use some encouragement
to pry it out...Think I'll leave it in and avoid any risk of scratching the mirror surface.

The polish on my piece easily beats Wolfman's brushed Ti (obviously)....and when I question the high price of this razor,
I can see that they have spent a lot of time on the polishing.

Finish: 9/10

All in all, this razor answers my earlier search of "razor with most efficiency and least blade feel" (it is in there among the settings).

Yayyyy!

This is my first non-vintage adjustable so no experience with Rex.
I can't really give any razor a 10/10 because the perfect razor has
not yet been made.
If I had to deduct points from the overall experience, it would be the long shipping.
I paid $45 for EMS shipping...it left them 17 June and got to me 14 July.
That's outrageous for an express mode of shipping, but I do acknowledge
that they may have no control over such things.

This is my first non-vintage adjustable so no experience with Rex.
I can't really give any razor a 10/10 because the perfect razor has
not yet been made.
If I had to deduct points from the overall experience, it would be the long shipping.
I paid $45 for EMS shipping...it left them 17 June and got to me 14 July.
That's outrageous for an express mode of shipping, but I do acknowledge
that they may have no control over such things.
Gottcha!

Excellent write up on the Taiga Titanium. I have enjoyed mine so much I have sold off several razors including the original SS Taiga with both baseplates and an original Gibbs #15
Sold the Gibbs....wow! Now THAT speaks volumes regarding the TAIGA!

Has anyone bought the latest batch of the SS Taiga? I was wondering if homelike has finished the SS model to the same level of polish as their titanium razor as reported by Tester28...

I think those SS models have been out of stock for quite a while.
That's a pity then as I am not minded to spend 500 plus on a razor again even for a titanium one. I think my 2020 rocnel sailor will stay as the record holder for the most pricey razor I have ever bought !

They said they will re-stock SS soon but each razor will not come with both SB and OC plates.
Every razor set will feature only one...if you want both SB and OC, you have to buy both versions
separately. I understand the value for the first SS release was in getting both plates in a single
package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom