What's new

Homelike TAIGA Adjustable Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A brilliant shave. Smooth & efficient performing. I’ve had this razor for a little over a year now and I’m just simply amazed at how good it performs but, just as importantly is how good a job of R&D that HomelikeShaving went through to get it right on it’s first go round. A testament to their creative abilities and excellent design/craftsmanship acumen. I can’t attest for the Ti version or any of the later releases though there have been concerns with markings & etchings that have not been of better quality or should I say poorly done. And that is something I don’t blame a consumer for complaining about when your shelling out top dollar for a product that is made and marketed to last a lifetime. On that end that is poor Q/C and HomelikeShaving should take note on that and make proper modifications or adjustments to their finishing procedures. Nonetheless, for me it has been one of the best adjustables that I’ve tried to date baring the Rocnel Sailor Series of razors in which is meticulously crafted with reviews from satisfied customers to back it up. Truth be told, I’ve been debating with meself on picking one up (2021 Sailor) with such a limited number of them being produced. It’s an itch I know that I’m going to have to scratch sooner more than later. Obligations at home though have tempered my impetuousness in acquiring anything as of late.

But, in the meantime I’m more than happy to keep moving along with my Taiga. Yes, it’s a magnificent tool.....

EFED3590-6075-491B-A8FA-48B561AD8106.jpeg

I’m curious, and apologies if I missed the answer to this somewhere, do we know why Homelike switched away from laser etching to the current “engraved” and painted iteration? Seems like a step backwards.

I’m curious, and apologies if I missed the answer to this somewhere, do we know why Homelike switched away from laser etching to the current “engraved” and painted iteration? Seems like a step backwards.

My own personal opinion on it, is that "Engraved and Paint Filled" is rather a step forward for this application. Just look at the Gillette adjustables, thats what was used there.

Engraved and paint filled - the groove is still there and its trivial to refill. Its also more prudent to use a paint that has a primer mixed in, it will last longer.

My own personal opinion on it, is that "Engraved and Paint Filled" is rather a step forward for this application. Just look at the Gillette adjustables, thats what was used there.

Well it’s not like laser etching/engraving was a viable option for Gillette when those razors were produced.

Regardless, customers will have their preferences. I’m more interested in why Homelike made the change, as I can imagine several possible reasons, but I don’t want to speculate, particularly if Homelike has already spoken publicly on the matter.

Engraved and paint filled - the groove is still there and its trivial to refill. Its also more prudent to use a paint that has a primer mixed in, it will last longer.

I agree, would rather have paint filled with the groves. I have 195s and Supers with original paint and the Slim I touched up has had no paint loss. Not an expert on laser etching but I could swear one of my razors that has the laser etch has gotten lighter over time. I clean my razors after each use so maybe that has something to do with it.

I've owned fanboys and slims were the paint jobs were perfect,
so there's no excuse from Taiga that would be acceptable
given their prices.

I am a sucker for Titanium and so it's no surprise that one of these shiny razors
is enroute to me, as we speak. Chose the priciest postage option (grrrr) but it's
probably the only way to mitigate the otherwise long delays.

I used the default shipping method. From placing my order it took less than 2 weeks to reach Atlanta.

Going by that comparison, maybe I'll get mine in 3-4 days then.
I remember there was a spate of posts on this tread of people
who were upset their Taigas were stuck in transit for weeks.
Anyway, the deed is done.

R u liking yours? This was crazy expensive for a blind buy LOL!

Going by that comparison, maybe I'll get mine in 3-4 days then.
I remember there was a spate of posts on this tread of people
who were upset their Taigas were stuck in transit for weeks.
Anyway, the deed is done.

R u liking yours? This was crazy expensive for a blind buy LOL!
I've had only 3 shaves so far. The first 2 were disappointing. Then yesterday, on the 3rd shave, something clicked and the shave was splendid. It's very light, and I think that takes some getting used to. Finish on the thing is first class all the way. It's a very attractive piece of kit.

I've had only 3 shaves so far. The first 2 were disappointing. Then yesterday, on the 3rd shave, something clicked and the shave was splendid. It's very light, and I think that takes some getting used to. Finish on the thing is first class all the way. It's a very attractive piece of kit.

what do you reckon went wrong the first two times and what did you do right on the third?

My Wolfman 1.55 WR2 is titanium and Im quite used to the light weight....in fact,
most vintages Ive used also weigh in around the 70-80 gm range...so I'm hoping
it will will be a quick adjustment for me.

My Wolfman 1.55 WR2 is titanium and Im quite used to the light weight....in fact,
most vintages Ive used also weigh in around the 70-80 gm range...so I'm hoping
it will will be a quick adjustment for me.

Figured it out.

The top cap on mine is apparently marked incorrectly with the alignment mark on the wrong side. When I flipped the cap 180 degrees so the alignment mark was on the opposite side of the other 2 alignment marks the razor became super smooth and efficient.

Yesterday I had an accidental BBS 4-3-2.5 shave with a fresh Polsilver SI. I never chase the BBS because I don't care to. It just sort of happened with a fresh blade. I could have stopped after the first pass and been happy.

Let us know when yours arrives!

The top cap on mine is apparently marked incorrectly with the alignment mark on the wrong side. When I flipped the cap 180 degrees so the alignment mark was on the opposite side of the other 2 alignment marks the razor became super smooth and efficient.

Did you correspond with Homelike about this error? Would be interesting to know what they think about it.
These are razors with a premium price tag after all.

I think this might be my favourite adjustable currently. Even with 3 rocnel sailors. I love how it shaves. really smooth. Also love the way it can be dismantled for cleaning.

I think this might be my favourite adjustable currently. Even with 3 rocnel sailors. I love how it shaves. really smooth. Also love the way it can be dismantled for cleaning.

I concur on that the Taiga is an exceptional shaver, it's the best adjustable in my den and perhaps the best razor overall. I'm reserving the best modern adjustable to date title until I can acquire (hopefully) a Rocnel Sailor soon. I'd like to test it's mettle against the Taiga.....

I think this might be my favourite adjustable currently. Even with 3 rocnel sailors.
I love how it shaves. really smooth. Also love the way it can be dismantled for cleaning.

Glad to hear it...Ive watched a few reviews on YT and glad I pulled the trigger....I'm a bit of
a late adopter, so I hope I've made the right choice. I went a little over the top and ordered
one of the limited edition bling bling ones...they say only 3 were made, let's see how true
that turns out to be.

Glad to hear it...Ive watched a few reviews on YT and glad I pulled the trigger....I'm a bit of
a late adopter, so I hope I've made the right choice. I went a little over the top and ordered
one of the limited edition bling bling ones...they say only 3 were made, let's see how true
that turns out to be.
The bling edition - razor of oligarchs! Photos will be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom