What's new

Homebrew pre shave salt scrub: looking for testers!

OK, so I whipped up a little bit of pre shave salt scrub using Himalayan salt & some liquid soap. I liked how it felt, so I decided to find tune the recipe for better results.

And that's where you fine fellows come into the picture. If I come up with a blend I like, would any of you be interested in testing it for me? It'll be simple enough: I send you a sample, you use it for as long as you like, then mail me your report. Nothing more, nothing less. ForNote: if I get things right with this, I can see it working for women as well as men. For now, at least. ;)

Note: if I get things right with this, I can see it working for women as well as men.

What say ye?

-Z

Congratulations! I'm sure there will be some fine folks take you up on your offer. I'll respectfully pass as I don't use any preshave other than a hot shower.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sounds drying to the skin. Hopefully liquid soap without SLS or SLES which, to me, parches my skin.

I simply use hot or warm water as a pre-shave.

Replying to a few comments- all very good ones, many thanks for them!

Re: it being drying. Yes, salt always has that chance. That's why the final version of this will include glycerin, to counter the drying effects of the salt, while keeping its nutrient content.

re: using hot or warm water as pre-shave, so do I. But after a very positive pre-shave experience using an exfoliant that my wife let me borrow, I figured that it might be a good addition to my routine. I chose to use salt b/c it will completely go into solution w/water, rather than potentially clogging pipes down the road. And I chose Himalayan salt due to its having helpful mineral content beyond the mechanical effect of scrubbing. Note that most dermatologists recommend against using any kind of exfoliant daily, and that is the best advice to follow. As finely as I may grind the salt, I can't see it being helpful to anyone's skin to use it daily.

Re: it being harsh on the skin, I just created a new trial batch after grinding the salt to more of a powdery consistency, rather than the typical consistency of table salt.

Will update after I use the latest batch!

-Z

Good luck!
Personally I've enjoyed a simple translucent glycerin soap for pre-shave.
But, who knows, there may be an even better solution waiting to be discovered!!

opal ever-ready gillette ach brito glyce penhaligons racquets march 1 2021.jpg

Top Bottom