What's new

Home was...burglarized...

I'm sorry to hear that happened. We have a glass back door and that's my fear with tempered. I used to live in a 1942 house, and the door was annealed glass. I had zero worries because if you broke that stuff I 100% guarantee you'll slice yourself up for a beautiful DNA trail.

I'm about to start experimenting with nickel plating. If you send me one I'll plate it.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
That’s horrible. Do you have any endorsements on your insurance policy for valuables/jewelry? Most policies only cover about $2500 worth of protection for theft of jewelry.

I'm sorry to hear that happened. We have a glass back door and that's my fear with tempered. I used to live in a 1942 house, and the door was annealed glass. I had zero worries because if you broke that stuff I 100% guarantee you'll slice yourself up for a beautiful DNA trail.

I'm about to start experimenting with nickel plating. If you send me one I'll plate it.

Thanks, but I now have a reason to prowl Ohio's antique markets again.

No, it is pretty much a net loss. But in a strange way I consider him stealing my Playstation 3 as almost a favor. What great waste of time, of life, video games are! At the end of life, on your deathbed, you will not regret that you could've spent more time playing a video game. I will not be replacing that bit of technology. I will go back to reading books.

I will miss that Tech, though. But I did recently get that $5 Merkur 34C at a Burlington. That is still...pretty damn good.

Your Playstation 3 experience reminds me of my experience with one of my two storage units. When we downsized from 4,000+ sq. ft. to 1,800 sq. ft. six years ago, we needed to find two storage units. One storage company was cheap, but only had one unit. When I entered the office, I understood why it was cheap--not a computer in sight, but piles of paper of varying sizes on every surface. We authorized automatic payments from our credit card (on a piece of paper). We left (somewhat) relieved that half of our stuff was safe.

About two years ago, my wife went back to the storage unit to see what was there. She found the unit unlocked and empty. She rushed to the rental office and found out they'd sold all our stuff due to non-payment. After painful inquiry, she discovered that when our credit card expired (as they all do), they were unable to contact us because they lost (or more likely misplaced) the piece of paper with our contact information. So they "liquidated" our stuff to cover past due rent.

When I first learned of this, for ten seconds or so my blood boiled. Then I entered a zen state, thinking through the ramifications. First, I realized neither of us had any idea what the "stuff" was that we lost. If we could live happily for six years without it, how important could it be? I then smiled, thinking "that's a bunch of stuff I don't have to worry about getting rid of." Unfortunately, we had no economic recourse against either the storage unit company or our insurance company, as we couldn't even describe what we'd lost. But that didn't affect my psyche.

Against all my instincts as a lawyer, we moved on, and I hadn't thought much more about it until recently. We got notice a few weeks ago that we need to move all of our stuff out of the other storage unit. The stress associated with our current experience makes us recall that having the contents of a storage unit stolen is much more stress-free than actually having to re-locate or liquidate stuff stored in such a unit...

Of course, if my watches or shaving gear were missing, I'd know it, and I'd be livid. My heart goes out to the OP.

Your Playstation 3 experience reminds me of my experience with one of my two storage units. When we downsized from 4,000+ sq. ft. to 1,800 sq. ft. six years ago, we needed to find two storage units. One storage company was cheap, but only had one unit. When I entered the office, I understood why it was cheap--not a computer in sight, but piles of paper of varying sizes on every surface. We authorized automatic payments from our credit card (on a piece of paper). We left (somewhat) relieved that half of our stuff was safe.

About two years ago, my wife went back to the storage unit to see what was there. She found the unit unlocked and empty. She rushed to the rental office and found out they'd sold all our stuff due to non-payment. After painful inquiry, she discovered that when our credit card expired (as they all do), they were unable to contact us because they lost (or more likely misplaced) the piece of paper with our contact information. So they "liquidated" our stuff to cover past due rent.

When I first learned of this, for ten seconds or so my blood boiled. Then I entered a zen state, thinking through the ramifications. First, I realized neither of us had any idea what the "stuff" was that we lost. If we could live happily for six years without it, how important could it be? I then smiled, thinking "that's a bunch of stuff I don't have to worry about getting rid of." Unfortunately, we had no economic recourse against either the storage unit company or our insurance company, as we couldn't even describe what we'd lost. But that didn't affect my psyche.

Against all my instincts as a lawyer, we moved on, and I hadn't thought much more about it until recently. We got notice a few weeks ago that we need to move all of our stuff out of the other storage unit. The stress associated with our current experience makes us recall that having the contents of a storage unit stolen is much more stress-free than actually having to re-locate or liquidate stuff stored in such a unit...

Of course, if my watches or shaving gear were missing, I'd know it, and I'd be livid. My heart goes out to the OP.

Some call.it Zen. Others just call it being tired and beaten down.

Came home early evening on Wednesday to find my back door kicked in and my home burglarized. My Playstaion 4...gone. (It didn't work, due to a worn out HDMI port). Playstation 3, gone. Laptop...password protected, gone.

Wristwatches...gone. That was about $800 in watches. My flagship watch was a Seiko Prospex solar Fieldmaster. Gone.

I have remaining to me a "Scuba Dude" Vostock diver watch. He didn't find that...

He used a travel duffle bag of mine to secure his loot. In it was my best nickel-plated Tech and a Slim...with most of a tuck of Shark blades.

But he left my razors in the bathroom undisturbed.

My only hope is that he uses that Tech or Slim and discovers the finer things in life. And that my wristwatches provide a higher degree of class and dignity than horrible gas station watch "bling".

SORRY!

Unfortunately, he is likely looking for some quick $. Hope the cops catch him with the loot, so you get your stuff back!

Came home early evening on Wednesday to find my back door kicked in and my home burglarized. My Playstaion 4...gone. (It didn't work, due to a worn out HDMI port). Playstation 3, gone. Laptop...password protected, gone.

Wristwatches...gone. That was about $800 in watches. My flagship watch was a Seiko Prospex solar Fieldmaster. Gone.

I have remaining to me a "Scuba Dude" Vostock diver watch. He didn't find that...

He used a travel duffle bag of mine to secure his loot. In it was my best nickel-plated Tech and a Slim...with most of a tuck of Shark blades.

But he left my razors in the bathroom undisturbed.

My only hope is that he uses that Tech or Slim and discovers the finer things in life. And that my wristwatches provide a higher degree of class and dignity than horrible gas station watch "bling".

I can sympathize. I too had our home broken into in the same fashion. Back door kicked in. Two bedrooms ransacked. The worst was most of my wife's jewelry. My Concord watch. Left all of my razors and shaving gear. I'm not as benevolent as you are. I don't wish anything good to them. In fact the next time they decide to stop by I'm hoping I'll be armed up. They won't make it up the stairs. And my only downside will be having to have someone come in and remove their blood from the stairs and the landing at the bottom where they ended up after I blew their sorry butts to smithereens. Yeah, I'm a bit angry........at lots of things.

Sorry to hear. I was a watch guy long before my interest in razors. A very similar addiction.

Criminals are stupid overall and just because you don’t have serial numbers, I can guarantee you they want a quick buck and will take all those watches at once to a pawn shop. Pawn records would reflect this and are monitored. They still might catch them.

I was close to getting a security system but didn’t like the monthly payments. Went with Blink while it was still on Kickstarter years back and now Google owns it.

No monthly fees and you can buy what you need camera wise based on your residence. Wireless and you can put the cameras anywhere. It alerts you when the motion cameras activate and the video is great, has scheduling etc..

Love the system and wouldn’t think about doing anything else.

Sorry to hear about that I live about 60 miles south of you in pike county we get our local news from Columbus so I know what your talking about Living in the country is getting about as bad I answer my door at night armed...

I have armed my two blinks (need a couple more too) after reading this. I am near the train out from the city. It is not uncommon to see people from the city committing crimes in the suburbs within a few blocks of the tracks. One other town I lived in, they’d ride out and walk the streets looking for open garages, to steal bikes.

Check the Neighbors app and see what neighbors might have seen anything suspicious on their cameras at the time.

R

romsitsa

Sorry for your loss, but you and yours are fine (hopefully) and thats the most important.

Adam

Graydog

Biblical Innards
What kinda dog did you get ?
20170603_151233.jpg

It might pay to invest in an alarm system with hidden cameras. I live in a gated community but still have a monitored system. Sorry for your loss.

That's terrible. Happened to me many years ago when I was living in New Orleans. (I also got mugged and left lying in the street in a pool of my own blood but that's a story for another day.)

Luckily, there are thousands of outstanding nickel Techs still out there waiting to be found and put to good use.

God bless.

Top Bottom