What's new

Home Security/Deterrent Measures So That You Don't HAVE To Shoot Someone.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Living in a 55 and older community where quite a few folk leave there garage door open most of the day and their garage walls are covered with the targets from the last range day also seems to help.
That's a good idea, maybe I should tape some of my shot bench rest targets, one on each side of the house. Probably a bit low on WAF, but could serve as a deterrent.

@OkieStubble

Exactly what I have always done.

One addition. On my perimeter fience gate I have a small metal sign that says "Dog in Yard". Simple statement. This is where all of the fliers are stuffed, religious, political, and business. Not even the UPS or FedEx drivers enter. The gate is not at the street, it is up the driveway near the house. It is also a self closing gate which reinforces the message one the sign.

When I was but a young Rooklet growing up in east Baltimore in a row home neighborhood, our next door neighbors were a very lovely retired couple with 5 toy poodles. Someone had tried to break into our house. Those yippy dogs went into sunc a frenzy that not only did they wake up our neighbors, but us and the people on the other side of the dogs. And those dogs. When all was said and done, the lights from 3 houses came on and 3 back doors opened. What came out of those back doors were 5 toy poodles, our rott Akita mix (who was waiting very quietly and patiently by the door), our neighbors' Doberman and retired K-9 shepherd. And then came my father, neighbor husband, the retired cop (who had the shepherd), and his adult son.

A couple years later, I woke up in the middle of the night. Early summer with no AC meant the windows were open. Anyways, I went down into the kitchen for a glass of water when I heard part of a conversation from the open window that went like this. "How about this one?" "Nah, [man], they got a big ol black dog." "I don't hear him." "Trust me, he's there." [Expletive deleted]"

In both Iraq and Kosovo before, the units who manned checkpoints and went out on patrol would always, without exception, adopt 2-5 local dogs. Little ones, big ones, made no difference. Each had their place. I was out working on one of their humvees one time. Of the 5 dogs there, 3 were around the permiter, one with the men (those 4 would switch off every now and then), with the big dog always between me and the guys.

So you can see what I feel is one of the best active deterrents. Mostly because I've seen it work more than once.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When I was but a young Rooklet growing up in east Baltimore in a row home neighborhood, our next door neighbors were a very lovely retired couple with 5 toy poodles. Someone had tried to break into our house. Those yippy dogs went into sunc a frenzy that not only did they wake up our neighbors, but us and the people on the other side of the dogs. And those dogs. When all was said and done, the lights from 3 houses came on and 3 back doors opened. What came out of those back doors were 5 toy poodles, our rott Akita mix (who was waiting very quietly and patiently by the door), our neighbors' Doberman and retired K-9 shepherd. And then came my father, neighbor husband, the retired cop (who had the shepherd), and his adult son.

A couple years later, I woke up in the middle of the night. Early summer with no AC meant the windows were open. Anyways, I went down into the kitchen for a glass of water when I heard part of a conversation from the open window that went like this. "How about this one?" "Nah, [man], they got a big ol black dog." "I don't hear him." "Trust me, he's there." [Expletive deleted]"

In both Iraq and Kosovo before, the units who manned checkpoints and went out on patrol would always, without exception, adopt 2-5 local dogs. Little ones, big ones, made no difference. Each had their place. I was out working on one of their humvees one time. Of the 5 dogs there, 3 were around the permiter, one with the men (those 4 would switch off every now and then), with the big dog always between me and the guys.

So you can see what I feel is one of the best active deterrents. Mostly because I've seen it work more than once.
Thank you my friend.

Top Bottom