What's new

Home Roasting for Beginners

I started out with a cast iron pan and my side burner too. I then went to a popper, and now the I-Roast. I had good success with the pan. How does the wife or daughter like your scent after a roasting session? Quite the aroma huh?

It's better than his normal smell! :biggrin:

I have an I-Roar 2 and usually roast every other day. The max you can roast with it is about a quarter pound. After a year of roasting this started to become a chore. So I just purchased a Behmor 1600, which arrived on Friday. The nice thing about this roaster is that it can roast up to a full pound. I costs about $300 but you get eight pounds of green beans from Sweet Maria's. I would recommend spending the extra hundred dollars and move up to this roaster.

That's what I was wondering about. Is the Behmor new? I don't remember seeing it a few months ago when I was looking at Sweet Marias.

John, yeah it's pretty new. I think it came out a couple of months ago. However, the guy who invented it has been testing it and sent it to users for beta testing for over a year. It's been getting talked up a lot over on Coffee Geek, so if you are interest you might want to go over there and read some of the threads.

I'll be doing my second roast with it tonight so I have limited experience but so far I really like it. It seems very well constructed and compared to the I-Roar it is quiet.

RexJ;

I DID disconnect the base heater in the stir crazy - very easy to do - it seemed like it would givce more consistnecy to the roast to have heat from above only... it works fine for me - the heat is so low anyway.

Barry

Top Bottom