What's new

Home Nickel Plating

Well done, not something that I would try at home or anywhere for that matter.

I can see how it might seem like playing with fire, but really it wasn't too hazardous. I just made sure to know the dangers up front. I also work in the sciences, albeit in cancer drug development, so it may have been less crazy from my viewpoint.

That seems like a lot of work, aboulton1989, though I admire your effort.

For me, I'll gladly pay $100 or $150 dollars to have a pro refinish a razor, and do it right.

That seems like a lot of work, aboulton1989, though I admire your effort.

For me, I'll gladly pay $100 or $150 dollars to have a pro refinish a razor, and do it right.

If I had an important or rare razor I'd likely go that route. Fun is fun, but I'm not ruining my grandfather's combat razor.

Hat's off to you for the great job and detailed information. The most I have done is a refresh of a couple of caps in gold. Fairly easy: Gold solution, low voltage plugin power supply with the wire cut/stripped, glass container.

The two biggest issues with home electroplating are uneven or rough coverage and "burn" marks from too much current. Even plating of hundreds of parts simultaneously and metal consumption aren't a big deal if you are only plating one razor.

It's easy enough to polish out any imperfections (or electrostrip and start again) for a hobbyist. Most of the rest of the issues in electroplating are related to plating thousands of parts at the same time to a finished product without "cleanup" steps. Uneven thickness won't be visible to me, and since I'm not worried about how much nickel per part I'm using, those variations unimportant.

Hat's off to you for the great job and detailed information. The most I have done is a refresh of a couple of caps in gold. Fairly easy: Gold solution, low voltage plugin power supply with the wire cut/stripped, glass container.

What brand solution did you use? I have a couple gold razors that I really don't want to convert to just nickel, but will if I have to. The 100+ for solution is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger. I feel like I want to have a few razors to do before I invest that much.

Speaking of, I just got a nice Aristocrat today in need of some plating, so I'm on my way, haha.

The two biggest issues with home electroplating are uneven or rough coverage and "burn" marks from too much current. Even plating of hundreds of parts simultaneously and metal consumption aren't a big deal if you are only plating one razor.

It's easy enough to polish out any imperfections (or electrostrip and start again) for a hobbyist. Most of the rest of the issues in electroplating are related to plating thousands of parts at the same time to a finished product without "cleanup" steps. Uneven thickness won't be visible to me, and since I'm not worried about how much nickel per part I'm using, those variations unimportant.

I agree, I think at the hobbiest level with a little invested in a good power supply, this is something most of us could do because we can fix anything that looks less than optimal. I don't envy the professionals out there that do quite a few razors at a time or really just the bulk platers in general. Precision equipment very much needed for these applications.

Top Bottom